none
remove old exchange 2013 server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We installed a Exchange 2013 server, but we had some problem with that server. We did mange to get mailflow working, but something was not right on that server that we never found out. We then installed a new server with Exchange 2013. The server found all settings right away. I want not to safely remove that old exhange server. I have moved over all mailboxes and take the database offline and everything working fine, so long booth server are up. Can I just uninstall the old Exchange server without any problem or should I do anything before I do that?

Kenneth

Tuesday, January 6, 2015 10:36 AM

Answers

• What's server is the OutlookAnywhere address pointing to?  Sounds like it might be pointing to the old server and not the new one.
    • Marked as answer by kmeidell Monday, January 12, 2015 2:05 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 3:01 PM

All replies

• Once you make sure all the mailboxes are moved over from the old server to the new server (including arbitation mailboxes you can do get-mailbox -arbitration to see if there are any on that server) you can then remove the old databases from the old server and then remove Exchange from the old server via Add/Remove Programs.
    • Proposed as answer by Jamestechman Tuesday, January 6, 2015 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2015 6:08 PM
  • That is what I also think. I just am a thinking of something that can go wrong because if I turn the old server off, it stops working. I am just not 100% sure if I uninstall the old server that the new server will take over all services and jobs that the old server had.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 7:15 AM
  • Here's what I typically do when removing Exchange servers (regardless of the versions)

1. Once everyone's migrated, first double check Send/Receive Connectors make sure the old Server has been removed.
    2. Verify OAB Generation has been moved  has been moved over to the new Server.
    3. Stop All the Exchange Services on the old Server for atleast 24 hours.
    4. Once the services have been stopped Shutdown the server for atleast 24 hours
    5. After I'm comfortable that everything seems to be working ok, power back on the server and proceed to uninstall.

The good thing is that for things that are configuration related inside of Exchange, the uninstall process is usually pretty good at pointing those out to you.  Steps 3 and 4 should help you find any dependencies on the old server (faxes, copiers, or other products that send mail)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015 11:54 AM
  • Hi and thanks for answer,<o:p></o:p>

I have tried to stop all services and sat all services in manual. It seem to start three services anyway. It is Microsoft Exchange Active Directory Topology, that will make service Microsoft Exchange Frontend Transport, and Microsoft Exchange Transport service start. That is the only service that are running now (on the old exchange server). It do work ok when they are running, but if I stop this services or shut the server down, Outlook do not manage to contact the other (new exchange) exchange server.

also: When I stop the IIS on one of the server (does not matter what server) it stops working. I am thinking I may have to just uninstall the old server and just hope for the best..

• Edited by kmeidell Friday, January 9, 2015 12:01 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 8:08 AM
  • What's server is the OutlookAnywhere address pointing to?  Sounds like it might be pointing to the old server and not the new one.
    • Marked as answer by kmeidell Monday, January 12, 2015 2:05 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 3:01 PM
  • That can be right. I have to find out how to change Outlook to use Autodiscovery aginst the new server.

Thanks for answer.

Monday, January 12, 2015 2:05 PM
  • Make sure autodiscovery.domain.com points to the new server in DNS.  If you used separate namespaces for Outlook Anywhere, OWA, etc you should then be good to go.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread

Monday, January 12, 2015 2:47 PM