Cross site collection-lookup column RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

i've found many solutions for cross-site lookup columns, but none which allows cross site-collection lookups. Are such lookups possible?

Best regards

- Musquatsch -
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 9:45 PM

Answers

• Nothing like this exists out of the box. There are a couple reasons for this:
    1.) Site Collections are designed to be "silos", and not visible to one another. The SharePoint API does not allow Site Collections to easily have visibility into one other's properties.
    2.) Security settings could be different between Site Collections. SharePoint can't assume that just because someone has access to one Site Collection, that they would have access to another.

Bamboo Solutions used to have a Cross-Site-Collection Lookup Field, but it appears to be no longer available. (I ran into quite a few problems with it when I used it, which is why I suspect it's now gone.)

I suppose you could custom build this kind of field, as long as you used some sort of elevated privileges for querying the other Site Collection's values.

Visit my blog at blog.beckybertram.com or follow me on Twitter: @beckybertram
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:06 PM

All replies

• Nothing like this exists out of the box. There are a couple reasons for this:
    1.) Site Collections are designed to be "silos", and not visible to one another. The SharePoint API does not allow Site Collections to easily have visibility into one other's properties.
    2.) Security settings could be different between Site Collections. SharePoint can't assume that just because someone has access to one Site Collection, that they would have access to another.

Bamboo Solutions used to have a Cross-Site-Collection Lookup Field, but it appears to be no longer available. (I ran into quite a few problems with it when I used it, which is why I suspect it's now gone.)

I suppose you could custom build this kind of field, as long as you used some sort of elevated privileges for querying the other Site Collection's values.

Visit my blog at blog.beckybertram.com or follow me on Twitter: @beckybertram
    • Marked as answer by Chengyi Wu Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:52 AM
    Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:06 PM
  • Can you recommend a different approach to achieving in effect a "global" site column across site collections. This would seem to be a pretty important to achieve consistency across a farm for columns that have global corporate definition scope.

Thanks

Bill

Monday, February 1, 2010 5:43 AM
  • Cross-site collection lookup is now available. Sparqube developed Lookup Extra field type, that allows you to lookup list from any site collection.
    http://www.sparqube.com/SharePoint-Lookup-Column

• Edited by YuraSt Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:44 PM Link fixed
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 5:38 PM