none
Preview Office 2003 files in W7 RRS feed

• Question

• W7 machines running Office 2003 have no preview handler for .doc and .xls. Is it possible to transfer the preview handler from an installation of Office 2010 to a machine with Office 2003? If so, which files are involved, and what other steps have to be taken to enable W7 Explorer to preview Office 2003 files?

If this is not possible (e.g. because the handlers are bundled in Office-2010-specific libraries), does anyone know of standalone handlers written for .doc and .xls files?

Noel
    • Edited by iFiredogMVP Tuesday, November 1, 2011 7:56 PM
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Firedog,

Thank you for posting.

Your problem is more related to the end user one, you may get more help if you post the problem on the answer forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office

Thank you for your understanding and hope your problem can be resolved there.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestion - that's where I came from. Only a developer would know how preview handlers are screwed together, and there aren't many of them over at Answers. If I knew which library contained the preview handler, I might be able to insert the elements of the key chain myself. Hence this appeal to Office developers.

Noel
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 6:51 PM
  • Noel, I found the Office 2003 files can be previewed on the preview pane.I am not sure why it does not work on your side?

Does the problem also happens on other computers? Or do you mean that if Office 2003 is installed on Windows 7, the preview will not work? I do not have the enviroment to test for you, because I installed Office 2010 on my computer.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Bruce Song Monday, November 7, 2011 8:24 AM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 8:20 AM
  • I found the Office 2003 files can be previewed on the preview pane ...  I installed Office 2010 on my computer.

Yes, that's the point. Office 2007 and 2010 come with preview handlers for (most) Office files, including ones created in older versions. I don't have a spare licence for Office 2010 for the W7 machine running Office 2003, so no preview handler. That's why I hoped to find a way of copying the necessary file(s) from a working installation of Office 2010, but I don't know which one(s) I need.

The really annoying thing is that preview handler packages that were released soon after Vista did include handlers for Office, but because Office 2007 came with native ones, the developers (notably Tatham Oddie) pulled the Office bits out of the packages, presumably to avoid conflicts.

Noel
    Monday, November 7, 2011 10:37 AM
  • Noel, I am not experienced about this. Please wait to see whether others can give you some suggestions or workarounds. Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

• Edited by Bruce Song Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:40 AM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 8:39 AM