none
Error when using U-SQL/Copy Activity on Data Lake file with Space(s) in Path

Question

• All,

We have loaded Data Lake with a folder/file structure which have spaces in the folder names.  When we do a U-SQL/copy activity from a folder with spaces, the activity fails with the following error:

Error E_STORE_SYSTEM_FAILURE. A store failure has occured. This could be the result of a user operation or the store service is temporarily unavailable. Description   E_STORE_USER_FAILURE: Invalid pathname Cosmos Path: adl://xyz.azuredatalakestore.net/turtle/rnd/raw/cat/ab 200

Description: A user operation has resulted in a store failure. Resolution: Please correct the user operation. Resolution   Please correct the user operation or contact support if the service outage persists. Details 

NOTE: I've replaced the actual path characters with something else.  

The problem comes in at the end there where we have "ab 200".  We have a number of such directories, and they result in this error in every case.  When we manually remove the space, it fixes the issue.  We are pulling this structure into an unprocessed space in data lake, and we then have the U-SQL/copy activity which fails when it tries to refine some of these files coming from the folder with a space.  Is this a known issue?  Workarounds?

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:45 PM

Answers

• Interesting, thanks for the update and raising this issue. In this case, it would be a bug on our side to handle whitespaces when we expand our URI with wildcard patterns.

In the meantime, would you be able to work around this issue on your side? If you are blocked, please do reach out to me at rukmanig@microsoft.com and we will help unblock you.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 10:39 PM

All replies

• Hi, thanks for the issue. The rootcause of your issue comes from whitespace not being part of a valid URI. If you can replace the whitespace with its encoding (%20), that would fix the issue. Is that something you can try?
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Hi,

Interesting.  In our case we are not explicitly referencing this path, but it is being created using a relative wilcard path like so:

DECLARE @mypath = @"turtle/rnd/raw/cat/ab{*}.txt";

So, in this case is there a way to resolve it to a path which includes %20 for whitespace?  

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 9:56 PM
  • Interesting, thanks for the update and raising this issue. In this case, it would be a bug on our side to handle whitespaces when we expand our URI with wildcard patterns.

In the meantime, would you be able to work around this issue on your side? If you are blocked, please do reach out to me at rukmanig@microsoft.com and we will help unblock you.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 10:39 PM
  • Thanks Rukmani - I've sent you email with our escalation request on this.  This is a big blocker for us.

Thanks!

• Edited by dcb98 Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:55 AM
    Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:55 AM