none
Access Runtime files w/ODBC linked tables RRS feed

Answers

• Ok, Looks like I needed the runtime command line switch. This works:

"C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Users\watsonr\Desktop\Repo_DB_5.7.accdr" /runtime

What a hassle, I'm sure I'll have great luck instructing runtime users to build a compound shortcut with command line option.

• Marked as answer by w85 Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:47 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:42 PM

All replies

• I have not used Oracle but have you tried to create a shortcut to the file that includes the symlink?

Like "C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\Office12\MSAccess.exe" "C:/MyFolder/MyDatabaseName.ACCDR"

Brian, ProcessIT- Hawke`s Bay, New Zealand

Sunday, August 2, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Hi w85,

I am trying to reproduce this issue in Access 2007 however failed. I could open the accdr file from the shortcut
    successfully.

Where did you store the shortcut for the Access accdr file? If it is opened from Windows SharePoint Services 3.0  document library, it is a know issue. You can refer to link below:
    Error messages when you try to use Access 2007 to open a runtime mode database file in a Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 document library: "Microsoft Office Access cannot open this file"

If you were opening the shortcut from desktop, I suggest that you repair or update the Access to see whether it is helpful.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, August 3, 2015 9:30 AM
  • Just tried to open with the shortcut you recommended, but got the same message as before.

Fei, to answer your question, the shortcut is located on my desktop. I do not believe an update/repair for Access will solve the issue, since Access itself is in a sense saying: Hey you can't open Accdr files within the Access application.

• Edited by w85 Monday, August 3, 2015 1:38 PM
    Monday, August 3, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Are you opening Access first then pointing to the short cut?

Or are you just double clicking on the shortcut?

I often use accdr fils and have never seen this message.

Monday, August 3, 2015 9:02 PM
  • I'm opening Access first, then opening the file through the access open file menu.
    Monday, August 10, 2015 5:48 PM
  • The Runtime does not have this ability. You must select the database file directly or use a shortcut as I proposed. The first part is the path to the MSAccess.EXE. Note the Quotes around it to allow for spaces in the file name. This last quote is followed by a space then another Quote then the Full path and File name of your database finally the closing quote.

As noted previously your Alias path may need to be used.

Monday, August 10, 2015 9:15 PM
  • As stated previously, the shortcut method does not work. Here is the shortcut I used:

"C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Users\watsonr\Desktop\Repo_DB_5.7.accdr"

Here is the message I receive:

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:34 PM
  • Ok, Looks like I needed the runtime command line switch. This works:

"C:\Program Files x86\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\Users\watsonr\Desktop\Repo_DB_5.7.accdr" /runtime

What a hassle, I'm sure I'll have great luck instructing runtime users to build a compound shortcut with command line option.

• Marked as answer by w85 Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:47 PM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 1:42 PM