none
Opening files from SMB share (Azure Storage) is very slow

Question

• Hi,

I am pretty new with this whole Azure thing, but I thought that I had made my homework before I created my first Azure File storage. However, now it seems that there is something that I don't quite understand.

Our problem is that the file copy/open from SMB mapped Azure storage process is ridiculously slow. When copying multiple files between 200kb to 5 megabytes to local drive, it starts from 2-4 megabits/s and then drops to 20-40 kilobytes/s after couple of megs. Also it seems that there is a massive latency before the each individual file copy even starts.

We noticed this situation while we were trying to find a reason, why it takes few minutes to open 3Mb powerpoint file from Azure file storage. I first tried to add the network drive as trusted location to Office 2013 Powerpoint and then unticked those File validation processes from powerpoint settings also. This took about 30 seconds away from the opening time, but it is still too slow. 

Any ideas, how to solve this situation are welcome. As I am not very familiar with all these Azure and cloud related terms, I would be very thankful, if you could elaborate your answer, if you going very techy. I do have a know-how with computers and I can handle complicated tasks with these things, but this Azure thing is just too much for some reason :D

Here are some additional information that might usefull

• Our network is Finland and the speed is 100/100Mbits/s
    • Network router is Telewell EAV510v2 with 300Mbit/s wireless.
    • Computers are using Wireless (tested also with cable and in other networks)
    • Our Azure Storage plan is L located at Northern Europe
    • I have just created this File storage blob(?) and made a file share in it and then used the primary key to map it as a network drives to workstations.
    • Workstations are Windows 10 Pro machines which are in workgroup. We don't have server or AD available.
    • We are using Office 365 accounts to login into the workstations.
    • All machines uses Microsoft Security essentials as primary virus control now (Used to be ESET, but we have removed that while trying to find a reason for this)

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 10:00 PM