none
Kinect SDK V1 request features. RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks for release of new SDK version! I'd like to ask for new features, required for successfull usage of Kinect for Windows:

1. HeadOverHeals mode for mounting under the ceiling - it is not difficult to rotate image 180deg before skeletal tracking.

2. Constant identification method for kinect sensor, like serial number - InstanceID is changed on changing USB port.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 9:58 AM

All replies

• 3. Built in Kinect mouse support.

4. Built in Windows standard voice commands like: Opening a program, closing a program, maximize, minimize, full screen.

5. Built in Support for Microsoft Office Power Point appresentations ( maybe only slide things.)

6. Built in Support for Windows Media Player (at least pause, play. and then maybe the other video/music player functions)

ps: points 4 and 6 are already available on many smartphones.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:04 AM
  • And fix bugs:

b1. Silent install of redist (KinectRuntime-v1.0-Setup.exe /s or /passive) shows .NET 4.0 client profile window NOT silent, asking to press next and main screen to agree with license... result is that silent install is broken at all.

• Edited by KuDeSnik33ra Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:49 AM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 10:38 AM
  • @KuDESnik33ra did you try the stand alone installer of dotnet framework 4.0 full which does goes silent? I do silent installs all the time over the network at my work. I install dotnet framework latest version full to my imaging solution at work because i can image a whole 30 computer total lab in 30 minutes or less excluding lunchtime.

You also might need to pass license agree arguement like java and flash silent installs do to keep it from asking for license.

If you like it can show one of my scripts to you but usually for silent installs you need to pass that arguement in somehow but installing dotnet framework seperately and first over network  will get best results because you should be able to pass silent install arguement and license agree.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:05 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 1:59 PM
  • @rcitaliano number 5 im working on as a project myself but for my vb.net source code i just need to figure out what types to correctly use and it will work. You can help but for testing purposes use a virtual machine for the emulator code because sometimes if you do something wrong it will bluescreen you if its severe.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:08 PM
  • Well, .NET is not only the problem, Kinect runtime don't behave correctly in silent mode itself... So, I think it is just a bug.
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 2:42 PM
  • you could tell it to skip over dotnet framework during silent install also if its causing you troubles. I will post a sample network install script sample with server information removed for purposes of installing it correctly and modify it until it works but the scripting guys forum helped me with my install of java and flash. Java silent install is also annoying is because if i dont update it in a month or two the update program will reactivate itself and annoy teachers even though they dont see it install.

Also, the silent install switch sometimes needs other switches like license information for it to work correctly and stop showing.

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:38 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:05 PM
  • b2: Something is wrong in  NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback function, this code in skeletal viewer result in hardlock:

NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback( &CSkeletalViewerApp::Nui_StatusProcThunk, pThis );

NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback(  NULL, NULL );

NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback( &CSkeletalViewerApp::Nui_StatusProcThunk, pThis );
    I have found this bug in my app (used it to enable and disable kinect handling), but tested it in SkeletalViewer, workaround for this bug is to change
    NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback(  NULL, NULL ); -> NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback(   &CSkeletalViewerApp::Nui_StatusProcThunk , NULL );
    and check in Nui_StatusProcThunk for UserData != NULL.
    Friday, February 3, 2012 1:24 PM
  • When moving my hands in front of my face, the points given are wrong. OpenNI does this correctly; all I care about are the position of my hands, so a "hands-only" mode or something would help.

Skeleton tracking for more than 2 users/1 Kinect; I've got the power for it, let me use it.

Hand/upper body-tracking in near mode. I don't care about the rest of the skeleton, but hands would let this work in a desk-style application.

Friday, February 3, 2012 5:13 PM

4. Built in Windows standard voice commands like: Opening a program, closing a program, maximize, minimize, full screen.

5. Built in Support for Microsoft Office Power Point appresentations ( maybe only slide things.)

6. Built in Support for Windows Media Player (at least pause, play. and then maybe the other video/music player functions)

Point 4 is already built into Windows! It works with any microphone, including Kinect. I think 6 will work using the same built in functionality as well. 
    • Edited by ChrisCicc Friday, February 3, 2012 7:05 PM
    Friday, February 3, 2012 7:04 PM
  •  

Requests?

Hmmm I really need very simple and basic features like color camera gain and brightness control etc.

these are essential when you like to combine multiple color cam images or want to combine classical motion tracking methods with the depth image.

Friday, February 3, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Control the front LED
    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Control the front LED
    +1    I requested this during the beta, so I can put one in the bedroom and have no light at night
    Friday, February 3, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Well, .NET is not only the problem, Kinect runtime don't behave correctly in silent mode itself... So, I think it is just a bug.
    There are no options for the installer and there is no silent mode. You have to accept the EULA. This is not a bug, it is by design.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:13 AM

Not sure what you mean by "Built it". These are all things you can build yourself with the SDK.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 6:15 AM
  • Thanks for the answer, but installer has a reaction on /s - it don't ask if you want to install .NET - start installing immediatly... Ok, i can work without it, no problem. What is about  NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback bug and HeadOverHeals?
    Monday, February 6, 2012 6:40 AM
  • Thanks for the answer, but installer has a reaction on /s - it don't ask if you want to install .NET - start installing immediatly... Ok, i can work without it, no problem. What is about NuiSetDeviceStatusCallback bug and HeadOverHeals?

@KuDeSnik33ra

As far as in the commerical sdk i dont know but it says they will have updates to the sdk and so those might be included in future updates if they arent hidden in the sdk somewhere already.

Number 3 + 4 above are already available and i think they are working on a constant  identification method.

• Edited by The Thinker Monday, February 6, 2012 2:45 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:44 PM
  • FYI, your request #2 is available now.  Try this:

• In managed code:  KinectSensor.UniqueKinectId
    • In native code:  INuiSensor.NuiUniqueId()  ... you have to use the interface method of accessing the Sensor.

Let us know if you encounter any problem.

Monday, February 6, 2012 10:04 PM
  • 1 and 6 are the only things not available to kinect sdk but windows media player control using gestures shouldnt be too hard to do because once the gesture is known you can call wmp code from your app to play the actual windows media player app built into windows. I dont think that it would natively be supported inside the os for kinect to play the windows media player using certain gestures except for show from microsoft if at all.

Monday, February 6, 2012 10:26 PM
  • b2. If I install only redist v1.0, not full sdk = skeletal viewer says unable to init skeleton engine. If I install sdk = all works... 

this + b1 + sometimes my app crashes on exit in kinect10.dll_unload = Kinect SDK v1 is much worse, than beta2 sdk. Honestly it is piece of ... at all. It can not be used to publish any end user application... it is full of bugs (I can say only for native code, not managed).

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:37 PM
  • I dont know Kude but im going to add command line parameters for commerical runtime for kinect for windows to my guide and tell you experiences of mine i got to work.

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:19 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:19 PM