none
C# String Format Paramters RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am having one query with the below String Format Statement.

string sql = String.Format("<REMOVED>", System.Convert.ToInt32(Session["IDUser"]));

when I use this string format for sql string.

I get sql ="<REMOVED>"  as sql Query. can you please tell me what "<REMOVED>" stands for?

Thanks,
    Sandeep Jain.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:46 PM

All replies

• Based on your code,  you're getting the results that you should. If you're trying to build a SQL query using this method (which is bad because it might open you up for SQL injection), you'll need to do something like this:

string 
    sql = String.Format("SELECT * from [Users] Where [userId]='{0}'", System.Convert.ToInt32(Session["IDUser"])); 

A more secure method to using dynamically building the SQL would be to use a parameterized store procedure.

Hope this helps!
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 1:59 PM
  • Sandeep,

What exactly are you trying to do?  It's your format string that says "<REMOVED>", so it's hard to know what it stands for without being given some context. 

I do know that without numbered parameters in your string, the second parameter to string.format is useless here.
    David Morton - http://blog.davemorton.net/
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Hi,
    I explain what i do exactly.

string sql = String.Format("<REMOVED>", System.Convert.ToInt32(Session["IDUser"]));

SqlConnection conn = GetSqlConnection();

SqlDataAdapter adapter = new SqlDataAdapter(sql, conn);

DataTable friends = new DataTable();

adapter.Fill(friends);

conn.Close();

when I use this string format for sql string.

I get sql ="<REMOVED>"  as sql Query. can you please tell me what "<REMOVED>" stands for?

Thanks,
    Sandeep Jain.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 6:31 PM