none
Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting this error while restarting the host instance of few of my file based interfaces (Note: There are more than 20 receive locations and almost 90 send ports; first thought may be that is causing the error. I also tried unenlisting more than half of the send ports and then restarted the host instance again but all in vain).

When the application/interface is completely stopped then host instance gets restarted normally and logs can be seen in event viewer. But if the application is partially of completely started, the host instance doesn't get restarted and Biztalk admin console gets hang. Leaving no logs in event viewer.

Note: Other host instances are working fine; for file based and service based interfaces both.

When I try to restart the host instance from services.msc, it throws 1053 error (if application is completely or partially started), as shown in the attached screenshot. Also, in the event viewer, got timeout error, as shown in attached screenshot.

After reading the suggestions provided on several links, I have tried following:

-I have provided the correct configuration in the send ports and receive locations.

-Recreated host and host instance on the server.

But in vain.

Can anyone please tell me the possible cause and solution to the problem?

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:12 AM

Answers

• As you have mentioned, there are numerous host instances involved which implies Windows services are consuming significant amount of resources and there by a memory and CPU processing of services will significantly jump higher. That implies that if the host instance is a Receive host and the pooling interval is around 100 or lower, the number of simulation processes running will be busy and services can take more than 30 seconds (by default in windows local services).

If these hostinstances can be enabled (to start) after couple of retries then the default time limit can be updated. But such fix Production is NOT RECOMMENDED, windows/Biztalk administrators will have best solutions instead. 

Please refer to the Best practices of BizTalk: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc594552%28v=BTS.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards

K

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Hi Pratibha,

This occurs always when any orchestration/send port are in active state and you want to restart the host instance.

Please follow below steps to identify the root cause;

1. If any orchestration is configured with issued host instance then unenlist the orchestration and try to restart the host instance.
    2. Stop and unenlist all send ports and try to restart the host instance.

With above two options you should identify the issue.

One more check, Please identify SSO service has been restarted without failure(check application log in event viewer). 

Thanks, If my reply is helpful please mark as answer or vote as helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 28, 2015 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is more of a .NET framework / windows server patch rather than BizTalk.

Check this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/2dd7e46e-b41f-45e7-a13e-9898062b3cc0/error-1053-the-service-did-not-respond-to-the-start-or-control-request-in-a-timely-fashion?forum=winserverManagement

Regards

Koushik

• Edited by Koushik984 Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:32 AM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2015 10:32 AM
  • I have checked this link and incorporated some suggestions too.

On my production server, there are more than 50 host instances and rest are working fine without a glitch!

As far as installing the hotfix/patch is concerned, I am considering it as my last option.

Can you please provide the specifics of the problem/behavior?

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:23 AM
  • Hi Pratibha,

Not sure but if you have so many ports configured on the same host and you are trying to restart the host instance, then what BizTalk will do is try to complete the processing of messages running on that host or will persist the running instances so that the other instance can pick it up.

This process may take time and hence you are getting "time out" error.

You can try 3-4 times or when the host is not processing nything, then it should be able to re start itself in a timely fashion.

Please indicate "Mark as Answer" or "Mark as Helpful" if this post has answered the question

Rahul

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 11:39 AM
  • As you have mentioned, there are numerous host instances involved which implies Windows services are consuming significant amount of resources and there by a memory and CPU processing of services will significantly jump higher. That implies that if the host instance is a Receive host and the pooling interval is around 100 or lower, the number of simulation processes running will be busy and services can take more than 30 seconds (by default in windows local services).

If these hostinstances can be enabled (to start) after couple of retries then the default time limit can be updated. But such fix Production is NOT RECOMMENDED, windows/Biztalk administrators will have best solutions instead. 

Please refer to the Best practices of BizTalk: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc594552%28v=BTS.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards

K

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:06 PM
  • Hi Prathibha,

If there is no other way to solve it, Just go to task manager and kill the corresponding BizTalk process. After that you can start the service without any issues.

Cheers

JB

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:36 PM
  • Hi Pratibha,

This occurs always when any orchestration/send port are in active state and you want to restart the host instance.

Please follow below steps to identify the root cause;

1. If any orchestration is configured with issued host instance then unenlist the orchestration and try to restart the host instance.
    2. Stop and unenlist all send ports and try to restart the host instance.

With above two options you should identify the issue.

One more check, Please identify SSO service has been restarted without failure(check application log in event viewer). 

Thanks, If my reply is helpful please mark as answer or vote as helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, September 24, 2015 2:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, September 28, 2015 1:28 AM
    Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:30 AM