none
SearchRequest.StructuredQuery seems to work for certain regions only. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

originally this was a WP7-related questions, but since nobody could help me in the appropriate forum, I'll give it another try here:

I'm using SearchRequest.StructuredQuery to provide a business search within my application. MSDN is not very helpful regarding this method, but there are only two Properties (Location and Keyword) so usage should be simple. I provide a GPS coordinate to specify the location (as I found out before: it should be provided in a degree, minute, seconds format) and some Keyword - and voilà: several correct results are returned.

However,

this works for coordinates in the US, in Germany, in the UK or in Spain (for example), but it does not work in Australia, in France, in Mexico or in Brazil (for example). Of course, I always use exaclty the same sourcecode, number formats, device and internet connection.

Could someone explain to me why this is working in certain regions only? Is there a lack of data for certain countries within Bing Search Services? Are there any other methods? My approach was part of an official WP7 sample...
    • Moved by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, March 10, 2012 12:14 PM (From:Bing Maps: Map Control and Web services Development)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 7:45 PM

Answers

• The Bing.com/maps site has some data that we can only make available through that site and not through the API. That site makes use of the Phonebook API, and the NAVTEQ data sources. In some countries we can not provide some POI data through the SOAP services due to licensing restrictions on the data. With the NAVTEQ POI data in the REST services we have a lot more data available for these countries. For example there are over 1 million POI points in France inthe NAVTEQEU data source.
    http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by TheFish1 Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:19 PM

All replies

• Note that ther eis not complete data for all these countries. The current coverage can be found here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd435699.aspx

I also recommend using the Bing Maps REST services. They are faster and have more features. They also tend to be better for geocoding.

• Marked as answer by Ricky_Brundritt Friday, November 18, 2011 5:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TheFish1 Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:11 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 11:13 AM
  • I'm not sure whether this is correct... Are you saying that there is no business data available for France and Australia but for Germany? I'm wondering about this, because using Bing via my web browser, I can find results in any of those countries.

Maybe this means that bing REST and SOAP services use different databases... which would be awkward, wouldn't it?

The link you've provided is good information, but I cannot find out anything about POI or business coverage... furthermore, the article indicates that there is no difference between REST and SOAP service regarding coverage (contrary to my previous statement).

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:11 PM
  • The Bing.com/maps site has some data that we can only make available through that site and not through the API. That site makes use of the Phonebook API, and the NAVTEQ data sources. In some countries we can not provide some POI data through the SOAP services due to licensing restrictions on the data. With the NAVTEQ POI data in the REST services we have a lot more data available for these countries. For example there are over 1 million POI points in France inthe NAVTEQEU data source.
    • Marked as answer by TheFish1 Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 8:19 PM
  • OK, thanks for clarification.

Quite odd that it is possible to provide Navteq data through the REST service while it is restricted through the SOAP service ... o_O

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:29 PM