none
Toolbox

Question

• I was using my VS Community 2015 IDE and the items in my toolbox became unuseable, they all went gray and I could not click on any of them. The only thing that shows in my toolbox is this message: "There are no usable controls in this group, drag an item onto this text to add it to the toolbox". The thing is it won't let me drag and drop anything. I have tried to reset my toolbox, I have tried add tab, I have closed my software and restarted it and still nothing. I don't know what to do to make them enabled.
    • Moved by CoolDadTxMVP Friday, September 23, 2016 2:57 PM VS related
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Victor,

If you try to access your toolbox from opening Form's code tab other then designer you will get the message"

"There are no usable controls in this group, drag an item onto this text to add it to the toolbox."

You need to access your toolbox by opening Form's designer window. Also before you do a fresh install try resetting the Toolbox. See below. Hope this helps you.

OR,

You could add item by right click on the toolbox and select items that you want to add.

addItemToolbox

addToolboxControl

Thanks,

Sabah Shariq

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:51 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Seems to be a common problem that pops up for some and not others.

Try resetting IDE Options to Default. Hopefully this help and wont mean

alot of time wasted on reconfigure your IDE.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:00 AM
  • Hi VictorGaston

Thanks for posting there .

>>"There are no usable controls in this group, drag an item onto this text to add it to the toolbox".

Based on your message , I have one simple question to ask :Have you stop debugging (shift +F5)?

if this doesn't work neither,  I guess that uninstalling VS and doing a fresh installation should be the answer you are looking for. One important thing though, I suggest you could restart Windows after installing VS and before launching it.

I hope my reply would do help to you , if you have anything else  regarding C# grammar ,please feel free to let me know .

Best regards

Kevin Zhu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:51 AM
  • Do you mean your Toolbox is empty.

Before you reinstall, you can try the following option.

1. Run Devenv.exe /SafeMode

2.  Run Devenv.exe /ResetSettings

3. Login as different user in your machine and try to start Visual Studio there.

chanmm

chanmm

Thursday, September 22, 2016 6:32 AM
  • Hi Victor,

If you try to access your toolbox from opening Form's code tab other then designer you will get the message"

"There are no usable controls in this group, drag an item onto this text to add it to the toolbox."

You need to access your toolbox by opening Form's designer window. Also before you do a fresh install try resetting the Toolbox. See below. Hope this helps you.

OR,

You could add item by right click on the toolbox and select items that you want to add.

addItemToolbox

addToolboxControl

Thanks,

Sabah Shariq

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:51 AM
  • Hi VictorGaston,

What about this issue? Would you mind letting us know the latest information about this issue?

Thanks,

Jack

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 9:52 AM