none
reporting with proper spacing RRS feed

• Question

• I have to create a report with very specified spacing. each step of the report must be reported with the proper amount of characters and spaces. I was wondering how to do this in access and if it can handle such a thing? I also need to make a header for this report which will be one line but will incorporate a lot of hard coded values and some input values and some values from a table all with proper spacing. How would I do such a thing?

Debra has a question

Monday, March 14, 2016 4:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Debra. What do you mean by "spacing?" Is it a number of character, a specific margin width, or...? Can't you use a grid?
    Monday, March 14, 2016 5:16 PM
  • Maybe I'm not even sure where to start. I have a report with a header the header must be one continuous line with a lot of different information filled in. It must have a certain number of characters and if that field doesn't have that number of characters it either has to fill it in with zeros or to leave it blank.

Debra has a question

Monday, March 14, 2016 5:21 PM
  • Hi Debra. Let's say you need a header/title with exactly 10 characters in it, and any empty spot has to have a zero in it. So, if the whole title is empty, you must have the following:

If one of the data you add to the title is "Hello", placing it at the beginning should produce something like this:

Hello00000

If that's what you want, you can use the following expression in your report:

=Left([DataField] & "0000000000, 10)

Hope that's what you meant...

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:15 PM
  • Hi, Debra

My suggestion is also something like the DB guy

str = "Title"

str = Left(str & String(12, " "), 12)

you can use this in your report.

Regards

Deepak

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. <br/> Click <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/common/survey.aspx?showpage=1&scid=sw%3Ben%3B3559&theme=tech"> HERE</a> to participate the survey.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 5:54 AM
  • Hi Deepak. Thanks for the assist. I was thinking of the Space() function and couldn't remember the String() function. Cheers!
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 2:48 PM