SQL backup device issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Friends,

In our <g class="gr_ gr_56 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="56" id="56">environment</g> we scheduled FULL & Diff backups weekly and daily basis respectively using SQL server agent.

but from last two days our diff backup job getting failed and gave an error message like below

Error:

NT SERVICE\SQLSERVERAGENT. Cannot perform a differential backup for database "<g class="gr_ gr_378 gr-alert gr_spell gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="378" id="378">db</g> name", because a current database backup does not exist. Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE, omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3035)  BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013).  The step failed.

upon checking system tables all database backed up (Full) on a daily basis at <g class="gr_ gr_1027 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1027" id="1027">same</g> time using below login and path.

user_Name:NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

physical_device_name={87101980-1AB4-4491-893F-92BB432A9F3E}4

what would be <g class="gr_ gr_1067 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1067" id="1067">reason</g> behind this ,please help me on this .

Thanks in Advance!!!

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:04 AM

Answers

• between our daily DB backup schedule (Full &Diff) ,automatically Full Db backup happend and not able find the file location and other stuff.

upon checking error log and system tables ,i have below information with me .

NT SERVICE\SQLSERVERAGENT. Cannot perform a differential backup for database,because a current database backup does not exist. Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE, omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3035)  BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013).  The step failed.

for this issue i googled it most of the people saying the reason behind automated backup is SQL SERVER VSS WRITER.

SQL SERVER VSS WRITER is enabled on server.

what would be the reason for that,please help me on this.

This seems like some tool performing snapshot or third party backup, please discuss with the windows team or Wintel Team. You can safely stop these by disabling SQL Server VSS ervices

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:38 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• please ignore above description,i will send it agian.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:19 AM
  • between our daily DB backup schedule (Full &Diff) ,automatically Full Db backup happend and not able find the file location and other stuff.

NT SERVICE\SQLSERVERAGENT. Cannot perform a differential backup for database,because a current database backup does not exist. Perform a full database backup by reissuing BACKUP DATABASE, omitting the WITH DIFFERENTIAL option. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3035)  BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013).  The step failed.

for this issue i googled it most of the people saying the reason behind automated backup is SQL SERVER VSS WRITER.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:29 AM

This seems like some tool performing snapshot or third party backup, please discuss with the windows team or Wintel Team. You can safely stop these by disabling SQL Server VSS ervices

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:38 AM
    Answerer
  • no third party tools were installed on server.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:26 AM
  • First off you are backing up to a virtual device - likely a 3rd party backup tool, like SQL Backup by RedGate, or idera's SQL Safe. The backup process is complaining that it can't find the last backup to do a differential from which means the backup chain has somehow been invalidated. It needs a full backup to do a differential on.

The most common reason that I know of where this happens is that there has been a restore of the database.  Is this possible?

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 11:32 AM
  • no third party tools were installed on server.
    I am sure you are then not aware about it, please ask it again. It can be even windows snapshot backup or VMware snapshot backup. Please get details from the team I am sure you will find out soemthing

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 12:56 PM
    Answerer
  • A snapshot was performed at that time. You need to hunt down what/who performed this snapshot and then make that process perform it using the COPY_ONLY option. If you cannot reconfigure that tool, then you cannot use differential backups in your environment. 

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for your inputs,my issue was fixed after disable SQL SERVER VSS writer service.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 8:12 AM
  • Hi All,

Thanks for your inputs,my issue was fixed after disable SQL SERVER VSS writer service.

But issue is still not solved completely untill you find out what was taking the snapshot backup

Cheers,

Shashank

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:01 AM
    Answerer
  • "Thanks for your inputs,my issue was fixed after disable SQL SERVER VSS writer service."

Wow! that is a pretty extreme way to handle the situation. You really want to investigate who is doing the VSS snapshot and what purpose this snapshot has. Say for instance that somebody is taking a snapshot if the virtual machine before applying a service pack. That person probably expect that the snapshot can be used to revert back to, and not risk getting corrupt databases! After all, that is probably why the snapshot was taken in the first place.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 12:03 PM