none
BizTalk Developer edition 2016 vs Enterprise Edition 2016

Question

• Hi.

I just downloaded BizTalk Server 2016 (evaluation 180 days) and Biztalk Server 2016 Developer Edition.

I am configuring a virtual server (Windows Server 2012 R2, SQL Server 2016 SP1) where I want to install Biztalk Server 2016. This is to evaluate BizTalk Server 2016.

I have not found documentation if there is any difference in functionality between BizTalk Server 2016 (evaluation 180 days) and Biztalk Server 2016 Developer Edition. To decide which of the two versions will be better installed on the server where I will be doing the evaluation.

Any suggestions you can give me?

Thanks in advance.
    Monday, April 17, 2017 4:55 AM

All replies

• The Developer Version is a identical in functionality to an enterprise edition - the only restriction being that it should not be deployed for production use. This is available for download from the MSDN Subscription site.

An evaluation version is also a fully functional version with the exception of being time locked.

If you have a MSDN license I'd recommend downloading and using the Developer Version.

Regards.

• Proposed as answer by diramoh Tuesday, April 18, 2017 11:38 AM
    Monday, April 17, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Hi,

BizTalk Server 2016 Evaluation will give you all The Enterprise Edition Features and It will be only available for 180 days.

Developer Edition helps you to Design and Develop the Solutions but it is not recommended for Production use.

The below Link is for BizTalk Server 2013 Editons but it will give you the idea of Different Editions Features. Mostly they are the same for BizTalk Server 2016.

@http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/4/7/0479D5E5-021B-408E-8BCA-7D95AF76A9A6/BizTalk_Server_2013_R2_Licensing_Datasheet_and_FAQ.pdf

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/biztalk-pricing

Below Link also gives you some more information

http://www.schneider.im/microsoft-biztalk-server-2016-available/

Thanks,

Sujith.

Sujith

Monday, April 17, 2017 5:48 AM
  • Hi ,

AS the name suggests, evaluation edition will be valid for only 180 days for you to evaluate.

While you can have the developer edition of BizTalk 2016, if you have MSDN subscription, developer edition of BizTalk 2016 is almost similar to the enterprise edition, but note that some of the as2 and edi features like schemas are not available in the developer edition. Refer Where ar EDI 2016 schemas  You have to have the enterprise edition.

As the name enterprise suggest, it is meant to be deployed on the production environment and invokes proper support from Microsoft as per your service agreement. Enterprise edition supports application deployment with no restrictions on the number of deployed applicatios, also enterprise edition allows you to configure BizTalk in a cluster or for High availability in case your request volume is very high.

Developer edition is suitable for development purposes only, production should have enterprise edition.

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Monday, April 17, 2017 9:20 AM