none
Answering reviews RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I launch my app yesterday and got some downloads, plus a review. The review is has a bad note (one star) because the person that posted it was unable to use my app correctly. I know that the review tabs is not for support, but I don't even have a way to redirect him to my support page, making my app having a single, bad, one star, review...

Isn't there any way to answer him?

Mika.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:31 AM

Answers

• Hello Mika56,

It is somewhat unfortunate when you receive a bad review on your app. However, this is also a chance to make an improvement to your app and its functionality. You cannot attempt to respond to reviews in order to change them, though. This goes directly against the app developer agreement you signed and in particular section 3.d

d. Product Ratings.  The Windows Store will allow users to comment on and rate apps.  Microsoft may use those ratings and other data to determine the placement or marketing of apps in the Windows Store.  Your apps may be subject to user ratings with which you may not agree.  You may not attempt to manipulate ratings for your app or any other app, and you may not rate your own app.  You may contact Microsoft   if you have any questions or concerns regarding these ratings.

The best thing to do, if you have not already done so, is to add a support contact to the metadata of your app with a link to send an email to you. This would appear in the "Learn more" section of your product description page, where you could also add a link to your website as well.

The last thing you could do is to be very clear in your description and in your features sections to list anything that a user may find ambiguous or not easy to understand. I hope this helps, Mika56

Thanks,

Jesse

Friday, October 26, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Hello Tabstagram,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this. The rate and review tab in the Store is for just that, rating and reviewing. Every app in the Store must have a link to support for the consumers. That support link is where the consumer should be going to receive assistance with an app related issue. 

Thorough testing across multiple platforms is the best way to be proactive about possible bugs within the app. Encourage consumers to contact your support page if they have issues and perhaps this will prevent a bad review and demonstrate your commitment to making the app better for all. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jesse

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:21 AM

All replies

• no.. some people write a review back to awnser. but no other ways
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jesse_F Friday, October 26, 2012 1:22 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hi Mika,

the following thread shows you how some people react on reviews - http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsstore/thread/ba78aff8-ad15-4c7a-b616-9d7e22d62713

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 11:50 AM
  • Hi back,

I'm feeling bad having to note my own app, but as suggested I answered the guy through the reviews... This shouldn't be done that way, we don't have to note our own apps, as well as we need a way to communicate with users that are somehow requesting for support through reviews (with a bad note!)

Mika.

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 3:02 PM
  • Hello Mika56,

It is somewhat unfortunate when you receive a bad review on your app. However, this is also a chance to make an improvement to your app and its functionality. You cannot attempt to respond to reviews in order to change them, though. This goes directly against the app developer agreement you signed and in particular section 3.d

d. Product Ratings.  The Windows Store will allow users to comment on and rate apps.  Microsoft may use those ratings and other data to determine the placement or marketing of apps in the Windows Store.  Your apps may be subject to user ratings with which you may not agree.  You may not attempt to manipulate ratings for your app or any other app, and you may not rate your own app.  You may contact Microsoft   if you have any questions or concerns regarding these ratings.

The best thing to do, if you have not already done so, is to add a support contact to the metadata of your app with a link to send an email to you. This would appear in the "Learn more" section of your product description page, where you could also add a link to your website as well.

The last thing you could do is to be very clear in your description and in your features sections to list anything that a user may find ambiguous or not easy to understand. I hope this helps, Mika56

Thanks,

Jesse

Friday, October 26, 2012 1:41 AM
  • Hello Mika56,

Thanks,

Jesse

Jesse_F, answering a review is not trying to manipulate the ratings. Why would it be? If a user has a problem with the app they often write this in the review. Being able to answer and help this user with the problem would be better for everyone and not to be considered something bad. When getting feedback you should be able to answer it!

Helping people with bugs and responding to feedback is not manipulating the ratings, and in the reviews is where you get the feedback and bugs. Google understands this and has implemented answering, so should you.

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Hello Tabstagram,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this. The rate and review tab in the Store is for just that, rating and reviewing. Every app in the Store must have a link to support for the consumers. That support link is where the consumer should be going to receive assistance with an app related issue. 

Thorough testing across multiple platforms is the best way to be proactive about possible bugs within the app. Encourage consumers to contact your support page if they have issues and perhaps this will prevent a bad review and demonstrate your commitment to making the app better for all. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jesse

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 2:21 AM
  • I think Microsoft Store should give reviewer's an option to give his/her email to the app owner so they can get follow up support.
    • Proposed as answer by MrBrightsky Friday, January 11, 2013 1:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by MrBrightsky Friday, January 11, 2013 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 9:23 PM
  • I agree with YanFlex12!

I think that Microsoft strategy is not a bad one but they must consider that mobile users are use to report bugs and questions about the app in the reviews, so it's important for the developers to have a way of answer that questions. 

Friday, January 11, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Agreed, how can I can make my app better if I can't help a user using my app.
    • Edited by Piet5211 Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:32 AM
    Saturday, November 30, 2013 2:32 AM