Installing SP2010 on Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• What is needed to install on a x64 copy of Windows 7?
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:59 PM

Answers

• I just did another test and it seems you don't need to recreate the service applications unless you have messed up the settings with them.

• Proposed as answer by Paul J. Swider Friday, November 20, 2009 2:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, November 20, 2009 3:03 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:40 PM

All replies

• Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:59 PM
  • At the time of writing this post, installation of SharePoint 2010 is not supported on Windows7 and Windows 2008 R2 per this post. In this post a hotfix for Windows 2008 has been referenced to and you need to wait for similiar hotfix to be made available for W7 and R2.

http://blogs.msdn.com/opal/archive/2009/11/16/installation-notice-for-sharepoint-2010-public-beta.aspx

This post will also tell you what you need in terms of pre-req.

I have written a post on how to install SharePoint 2010 on W7 ( that was Beta1 or pre-beta) would not expect the installation process to have changed. However can confirm only after hot fix has been released.

http://www.alpesh.nakars.com/blog/how-to-install-wss4-on-windows-7/

Blog: Alpesh Nakar's Blog | Twitter: Follow Alpesh on Twitter |SharePoint Resources: Just SharePoint Resource Center | Follow Just SharePoint updates on Twitter
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:57 PM
  • Hi Alpesh,

I've gone and installed SharePoint Server 2010 on a Win2k8 R2 box, ran the configuration wizard and encountered the issues where the Profile service applications are not runniing correctly.

My question is, once the hotfix for Win2k8 R2 is released what will I need to do to get things working? Will I need to:

1. Complete re-install of Windows 2008 R2
    2. Complete re-install of SharePoint 2010
    3. Drop the existing farm then create a new SharePoint farm
    4. Nothing, the hotfix will sort everything out (well with maybe an iisreset or whatever)

I'd like to try and get an idea before the hotfix is released so I'm ready.

Cheers,

Colin
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:28 PM
  • My question is, once the hotfix for Win2k8 R2 is released what will I need to do to get things working?

A very interesting question.

Has anyone an answer? That would be very helpful!

ou
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, November 19, 2009 4:46 PM reduced still further in size
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 2:31 PM
  • The worst case is you may need to rebuild the farm (remove it from the farm using psconfig and then rerun psconfig to recreate) to get user profile sync to work. However I'm not quite sure about that, maybe only my own case, since some people claimed they did success without rebuild the farm, and some other people claimed only a complete reinstall would work.
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 5:27 PM
  • You should not need to reinstall Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010.  In most scenarios you will simply need to install the update when it becomes available, and recreate (delete and provision) any Service Applications you've previously created prior to installing the update.
    Bill Baer
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:12 PM
  • I just did another test and it seems you don't need to recreate the service applications unless you have messed up the settings with them.

• Proposed as answer by Paul J. Swider Friday, November 20, 2009 2:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, November 20, 2009 3:03 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 11:40 PM
  • Follow this guide to be able to start the installation on Windows 7: http://sharepointserver2010.be/Blog/post/Installing-SharePoint-Server-2010-on-Windows-7-x64.aspx

Friday, November 20, 2009 2:44 PM