none
Format specifier for enumeration is deprecated?

Question

• I got the following error on one of my Data Lake Analytics runs.

"The '*' format specifier for enumeration, i.e. {virtualColumn:*}, is deprecated and will be removed in the next deployment."

I don't see any documentation about the deprecation of this field nor do I see what is supposed to replace this functionality.

Anyone know and can clarify what is happening?

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:11 PM

Answers

• You saw the message before I got to publish the release notes :).

So to summarize here:

Up until the previous release, you could write {col} or {col:*}. If you wrote the first, you required that a predicate on col was required in the script while the second indicated that you did not require a predicate.

After some feedback and using it, we decided that it added too much complexity, so we decided to deprecate the {col:*} pattern in the following way:

1. Current release: we support both {col} and {col:*} with the same semantics now (no predicate needed).

2. A future release (probably the end of August release): we will remove {col:*} and you use just {col}.

So please start to replace your {col:*} with {col}. We will announce the phase out on our blog/release notes.

As an aside: {*} is still supported for unnamed wildcards.

Michael Rys

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:25 PM

All replies

• Looking at the error again, am I supposed to just change "{virtualColumn:*}" to "{virtualColumn}" and it will retain all the same functionality? So I would use "{*}" if I just wanted the wildcard or I would use "{virtualColumn}" if I wanted to use a wildcard, but also wanted to capture the value?

ERROR MESSAGE:

<label class="msportalfx-text-label" data-bind="text: descriptionLabel" style="font-family:az_ea_font, wf_segoe-ui_normal, 'Segoe UI', 'Segoe WP', Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;line-height:normal;text-transform:uppercase;color:#2d3239;">DESCRIPTION</label>
    The '*' format specifier for enumeration, i.e. {virtualColumn:*}, is deprecated and will be removed in the next deployment.
    <label class="msportalfx-text-label" data-bind="text: resolutionLabel" style="font-family:az_ea_font, wf_segoe-ui_normal, 'Segoe UI', 'Segoe WP', Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif;line-height:normal;text-transform:uppercase;color:#2d3239;">RESOLUTION</label>
    Remove the '*' format specifier on the virtual column, i.e. {virtualColumn}, or use the wild card '{*}' for enumeration.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:18 PM
  • You saw the message before I got to publish the release notes :).

So to summarize here:

Up until the previous release, you could write {col} or {col:*}. If you wrote the first, you required that a predicate on col was required in the script while the second indicated that you did not require a predicate.

After some feedback and using it, we decided that it added too much complexity, so we decided to deprecate the {col:*} pattern in the following way:

1. Current release: we support both {col} and {col:*} with the same semantics now (no predicate needed).

2. A future release (probably the end of August release): we will remove {col:*} and you use just {col}.

So please start to replace your {col:*} with {col}. We will announce the phase out on our blog/release notes.

As an aside: {*} is still supported for unnamed wildcards.

Michael Rys

Wednesday, July 13, 2016 5:25 PM
  • Thanks. Where can I find the rest of the release notes?
    Thursday, July 14, 2016 4:41 PM
  • I will publish them by end of the week. We got quite a few items new, so I need to write it all up :)

Michael Rys

Thursday, July 14, 2016 9:00 PM