SMS 2003 and SQL 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am trying to connect sms 2003 to sql 2008 r2. When I set the program up, towards the end of setup a message appears saying "Setup can not create the required database tables, contact your sql administrator"

As i am very new to SQL and ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am running a local domain.

Regards,

R<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; font-size:10.0pt; mso-ansi-font-size:10.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} -->

Monday, July 5, 2010 6:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on error messages, it indicates the account that SMS used to connect to SQL Server doesn’t have the insufficient permissions in SQL Server. If you are running SMS and SQL Server in a domain, I suggest you running SMS Services under a domain account. Then create a SQL Server login with Windows authentication for this domain account, and then assign the sysadmin role to this login.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Monday, July 12, 2010 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:02 AM

All replies

• I have seen this problem before when the SMS service account do not have necessary permissions such as loacl ADMIN privileges on that remote server, also it will be easier if you have SQL media & SMS on same server.

Satya SKJ, SQL Server MVP www.sqlserver-qa.net [knowledge sharing network]
    Tuesday, July 6, 2010 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Based on error messages, it indicates the account that SMS used to connect to SQL Server doesn’t have the insufficient permissions in SQL Server. If you are running SMS and SQL Server in a domain, I suggest you running SMS Services under a domain account. Then create a SQL Server login with Windows authentication for this domain account, and then assign the sysadmin role to this login.

If you have any more questions, please let me know.
    Thanks.

***Xiao Min Tan***Microsoft Online Community***
    • Marked as answer by Tom Li - MSFT Monday, July 12, 2010 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 9:02 AM