Listen to all UPNP broadcast messages

Question

• I want to create a crude 'listener' that receives any and all UPNP broadcast messages sent by devices when they power-up.

I'm a bit confused by UDP processing.

I already have a test app that sends an MSEARCH message and then receives a ton of responses from devices on the network.

But the test app does NOT ever receive other messages from devices, for example when a device is powered on it should send the same kind of messages as it does when it responds to an MSEARCH.

I'm using DataGramSocket for this.

I suspect I may need two sockets one to send to port 1900 but listening to a local port (this is one that works now for MSEARCH) but also another that listens on 1900...

Is that right?

Also if I do that and bind to the local port 1900, does/will that clash with the PC's SSDP listener service (which is already listening to port 1900)?

Therefore must I stop/disable that service?

Thanks

Cap'n

Monday, February 25, 2013 7:03 PM

All replies

• Are you trying to listen for notifications from devices on the same system? That is probably blocked by the loopback networking restrictions. Windows Store apps cannot make network connections to other apps on the local system.

--Rob

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 3:59 AM