none
How do I replace/update serial.sys in Windows 7? RRS feed

• Question

• I have had to make modifications to serial.sys for an embedded product based on Windows Embedded Standard 7 and I need to replace the in-box serial.sys with my updated version.  How do I do this?  (In XPe it was a simple matter of replacing serial.sys before running FBA.)  It's been years since I've done driver work and I don't remember how to construct inf files and, back when I was doing it, there was no driver cache or driver signatures - whatever it is in Windows that prohibits drivers from loading and/or being changed in c:\windows\system32\drivers.  I'm in a bit of a time crunch so it would be great if someone could provide an example or inf file that I can use to update "serial.sys" on a live system.  This would save me a lot of reading and time.  Of course, any help at all is greatly appreciated.
    Friday, August 30, 2013 2:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• MSPORTS.INF in %windir%\INF is what is used in box. the online serial driver also contains its own version of the inf

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsdesktop/Serial-73a4564d/view/SourceCode#content

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 30, 2013 2:50 AM
  • I was able to create a custom "serial.inf".  Unfortunately I have encountered another problem: when I attempt to install my unsigned driver with my custom inf, I receive the following message: "This operation requires an interactive window station."

My Windows Embedded Standard 7 image starts a custom shell executable, which is currently configured for diagnostics and launches "c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe".  From the command shell, I perform the following steps:

From withing cmd.exe:
        * Execute compmgmt.msc

From within "Computer Management":
        * Select "System Management (Local) > System Tools > Device Manager" in the tree view on the left.
        * Right-click "Ports (COM & LPT) > Communications Port (COM1)" in the middle tree view and select "Update Driver Software..."

From within "Update Driver Software - Communications Port (COM1)":
        * Click "Browse my computer for driver software.  Locate and install driver software manually."
        * Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
        * Click "Have Disk".
        * Browse to location of .sys and .inf files and click OK button.
        * Click "Next" button.

!!! At this point I receive the following error message: !!!

Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.

Communications Port

This operation requires an interactive window station.

If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software.

screenshot

• Edited by PeniWize Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:56 PM incomplete / partial post
    Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:55 PM
  • try with a signed driver package

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 7:19 PM