none
elbow/hand confusion RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I'm writing a program that changes the color of the screen based on the height of two hands. The hands move up and down, directly in front of and perpendicular to the body. Problem is, there is a point when the hand joint overlaps the elbow joint, and there is a bit of jitteriness because of the Kinect's inability to sense the hand joint properly.

Two solutions I have thought of:

1) keep arms more outward from the body to avoid overlapping these joints. This app is for an academic study, however, and the preferred position of the arms is directly in front.

2) put the Kinect higher up so that the elbow and hand are never in the same line of the camera's sight.

Does anyone know other way to get around this problem? I don't need elbow coordinates (I would like to focus on hand coordinates), but I'm guess the Kinect uses all of the joints to figure out positions of all of the joints.

Thanks!

Friday, November 11, 2011 10:54 PM

All replies

• http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdknuiapi/thread/a94319e5-bbcc-4f6c-8bf5-30ebdf8b1c8b/

it looks like this is a recognized problem. I don't know if it will ever be perfectly solved, by nature of the the hand blocking the elbow.

anyone have any ideas of what to do? I'm able to get pretty good hand precision everywhere else except this one small area. Do you think that I could get rid of this jitter by using two Kinects, each 45 degrees from the direction I'm facing? I imagine that with two perspectives, my program would have more information and wouldn't have to make the jittery inferences as before.

Has multiple-Kinect programming worked out well for people?

Monday, November 21, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Have you tried to compute the angle between the lines formed by hand and spine? You can try that approach..
    Friday, November 25, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Have you tried to compute the angle between the lines formed by hand and spine? You can try that approach..
    Hmm... I think you'd need those precise hand positions in order to do this accurately, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 8:47 AM