Remote Debugging In Visual Studio 2013 Doesn't Target Remote Machine

Question

• I have a strange issue in VS2013 that's driving me crazy.  I'm trying to deploy a Windows Store App to a surface rt device via remote debugging tools. This has always worked perfectly but now when I select "Remote Machine" and hit Start Debugging, Start Without Debugging or Deploy, the app always opens up on the local machine.  If I blank out the Surface RT devices name from the projects Properties->Debug->Remote Machine menu then I get an error

"A machine name must be entered in the project properties page to debug the application remotely.  Would you like to specify a remote machine name now?"

But as soon as I enter the correct name, the app launches, but on the local machine. 

Is there a log that can show me what is going on?  Nothing happens on the Remote Surface RT device inside the Remote Debugging Monitor.

Remote Debugging seems to work fine if I target another windows 8.1 machine.  It's just the Surface RT device that doesn't seem to work. This would lead me to believe it's something to do with ARM.  The project is however set to build as "Any CPU" which it always has been.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 1:50 AM

Answers

• I finally solved the issue..... Even though when I clicked "Find" it clearly knew what port the remote machine was running on, by manually adding :PORT_NUMBER after the name, it started working.

I'm still not quite sure why it silently failed and simply ran on the local machine instead of giving an error.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:03 PM

All replies

• You may need to clear out the local DNS cache:
    ipconfig /flushdns

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 12:45 PM
  • I finally solved the issue..... Even though when I clicked "Find" it clearly knew what port the remote machine was running on, by manually adding :PORT_NUMBER after the name, it started working.

I'm still not quite sure why it silently failed and simply ran on the local machine instead of giving an error.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 3:03 PM