none
EWS CreateItem and "spam" RRS feed

• Question

• We are creating a product that migrates a bunch of mail to Exchange. We are using EWS and CreateItem

What we find is sometimes stuff is recognized as "spam" in the user mailbox and then moved to junk mail. We don't want that!

Looking at [MS-OXSCPAM], it appears there are two approaches one could take:

1. PidNameExchangeJunkEmailMoveStamp

a. Look for this to be defined in PidTagAdditionalRenEntryIds, if not create it there

b. Set this per message

OR

2. PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel

Set to 0xFFFFFFFF per message

Which is formally recommended by Microsoft?

Friday, April 1, 2011 7:31 PM

Answers

• Hi mjb1,

If I understood you correctly the first time, you neither trust the client nor are confident that the messages being copied/created are not spam.  Therefore, neither option would appear to be "better" by definition because setting PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel to 0xFFFFFFFF and setting PidNameExchangeJunkEmailMoveStamp on the message should have the same end result.  You should be fine to use PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel == 0xFFFFFFFF.

Let me know what, if anything, I may have missed.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

• Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by mjb1 Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:05 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 4:55 AM

All replies

• Hi mjb1,

Thanks for your question.

Someone from my team will get in touch with you shortly.

Thanks and regards,

SEBASTIAN CANEVARI - MSFT Escalation Engineer Protocol Documentation Team
    Friday, April 1, 2011 8:37 PM
  • Hi mjb1,

I've been assigned to help you with this problem.  I will get back to you shortly with more information.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

Wednesday, April 6, 2011 2:01 PM
  • Hi mjb1,

The PidNameExchangeJunkEmailMoveStamp property allows the message to bypass the client's spam filter. The client might want to set this property on a message that appears to be spam, but is trusted by the client.

The PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel property specifies how aggressively messages are filtered.

I believe that setting PidNameExchangeJunkEmailMoveStamp to a valid stamp or setting PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel to 0xFFFFFFFF will have the same end result.  However, I think that the nature of the message (source, content) should determine which approach you choose:  If the message is from a trusted source, but the message's content is spam-like and you don't want messages from this trusted source to be treated as spam, then set PidNameExchangeJunkEmailMoveStamp.  If the message is not from a trusted source, but you are confident that the message is not spam, then set PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel to 0xFFFFFFFF.

This should help you make a decision as to which approach to take. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo

Friday, April 8, 2011 3:26 PM
  • Hi mjb1,

Did you get my last post on this? 

Tom

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:15 AM
  • Yes, thank you. Although you may have missed the point: We have no idea nor really any concern as to whether the message is/was spam. It got into a messaging system (not necessarily exchange) and it is being migrated to exchange.  In short it is "Somebody Else's Problem" to quote douglas adams.

If either works to quell the exchange server's desire to junk them (even obviously NONspam items), we'll obviously choose the easier approach (#2), and see how it goes

Monday, April 18, 2011 12:06 AM
  • Hi mjb1,

If I understood you correctly the first time, you neither trust the client nor are confident that the messages being copied/created are not spam.  Therefore, neither option would appear to be "better" by definition because setting PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel to 0xFFFFFFFF and setting PidNameExchangeJunkEmailMoveStamp on the message should have the same end result.  You should be fine to use PidTagContentFilterSpamConfidenceLevel == 0xFFFFFFFF.

Let me know what, if anything, I may have missed.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer

• Proposed as answer by Brad Hards Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by mjb1 Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:05 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 4:55 AM
  • I should have said, "...nor are confident that the messages being copied/created are not spam (but don't care). "

Tom

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:02 AM
  • We care. But it's a migration from one messaging system to Exchange. Hence,Not Our Problem. If they had spam before they have it now  :)

Thursday, May 19, 2011 7:06 AM