associate icon to shortcut in start menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an installer that creates shortcuts of some pdf files and that puts these shortcuts in the start menu.

How to associate the icon of the application used on the target machine for reading pdf files (typically Acrobat reader) to my shortcuts?

thanks in advance

Pascal

Monday, May 9, 2011 8:42 AM

Answers

• Hi pas059,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

On how to get registered file types and their associated icons, please see the following article:
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/GetFileTypeAndIcon.aspx

if you want to change the default icon when you need to create the shortcut in deploying, you can do like:

1. create a shortcut in the Application folder and right-click the shortcut, select the properties window.

2. In the properties window, select the ICON properties and expand the combobox, select (Browse...) .

3. You can select any icon files which are added in your setup project.

If you have any concerns regardding to this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Neddy Ren Monday, May 16, 2011 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:41 AM

All replies

• there's no need to associate it yourself, it's automatic.
    Regards, Nico
    Monday, May 9, 2011 9:08 AM
  • it should be.

But this is not the case, so why?

Pascal

Monday, May 9, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Hi pas059,

Welcome to the MSDN Forum.

On how to get registered file types and their associated icons, please see the following article:
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/cs/GetFileTypeAndIcon.aspx

if you want to change the default icon when you need to create the shortcut in deploying, you can do like:

1. create a shortcut in the Application folder and right-click the shortcut, select the properties window.

2. In the properties window, select the ICON properties and expand the combobox, select (Browse...) .

3. You can select any icon files which are added in your setup project.

If you have any concerns regardding to this issue, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Neddy Ren [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Neddy Ren Monday, May 16, 2011 3:19 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:41 AM