SharePoint navigation broken to site home page: HTTP 500 error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem where I used to navigate with the generated sub-site links in TopLink Bar or QuickLaunch area to a specific site. The generated URL does not include /default.aspx. It worked just prior to initiating an Inherit Permission Levels from the Parent Site, but after completing the Inheriting process, that navigation no longer works. We receive HTTP 500 error - Web Page not displayed.
    So sharepoint/site/sitename used to work but now it requires  sharepoint/site/sitename/default.aspx .
    Anybody know how to restore this std navigation so the std generated links & breadcrumbs work?
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 7:53 PM

Answers

• Well thanks for the suggestion, however that's not it. Turns out it was a known problem as documented by KB937038. But when we applied it, it had its own bug which did not repair the broken links. In order to accomplish that you need to run a proc on the SQL Server:
     exec proc_DetectSecurityCorruption     (once for each content db where corruption is suspected)

For each ID returned in result set, run following proc to fix folder scope id:

exec proc_SecFixFoldersInSubWeb 'ID from the result set'

I will confirm that this does indeed fix the problem.
    • Marked as answer by IBEJBC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:44 PM
    • Edited by IBEJBC Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:58 PM typo correction
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:44 PM

All replies

• make sure you have correct AAM configuration
    Central Administration > Operations > Alternate Access Mappings   

Make sure you add your Sharepoint site into trusted locations in your IE.

Tools > Internet options > Security

Good luck.
    Ivan Bondy - MCPD, MCDBA, MCSA, MCTS - Sharepoint consultant
    • Proposed as answer by Ivan BondyMicrosoft employee Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lionel Chen - MSFT Monday, September 1, 2008 6:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by IBEJBC Tuesday, September 2, 2008 5:35 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by IBEJBC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:36 PM
    Wednesday, August 27, 2008 11:10 PM
  • Well thanks for the suggestion, however that's not it. Turns out it was a known problem as documented by KB937038. But when we applied it, it had its own bug which did not repair the broken links. In order to accomplish that you need to run a proc on the SQL Server:
     exec proc_DetectSecurityCorruption     (once for each content db where corruption is suspected)

For each ID returned in result set, run following proc to fix folder scope id:

exec proc_SecFixFoldersInSubWeb 'ID from the result set'

I will confirm that this does indeed fix the problem.
    • Marked as answer by IBEJBC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:44 PM
    • Edited by IBEJBC Thursday, September 4, 2008 3:58 PM typo correction
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:44 PM
  • Any updates on this? Does it fix the problem?

I have this issue now.....
    • Proposed as answer by Karsten Mottlau Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:49 PM
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 3:48 PM