Windows 8 desktop applications RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Can anybody explain me what is "Windows 8 desktop applications" 

Is it wpf ? Or this metro app in c#?

Thanks.

Monday, September 2, 2013 12:14 PM

Answers

• Windows desktops apps are just regular windows forms or wpf apps.   Windows store apps run in a sandbox and are typically xaml apps or DirectX games
    Monday, September 2, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Hi, theTomWhite

This forum is mainly about windows store app in windows 8. If you have any questions about WPF app, you can look for help in this link: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=wpf.

Best Wishes!

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:32 AM
  • It's a traditional Windows application using the Win32 API. They can be written using any of the existing languages or tools available for Windows (C++, C#, Java, VB, etc.). It could be a Win32 desktop application written that requires Windows 8, or it could also be compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, etc. They can be written for Windows x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit). Win32 desktop application development for Windows RT (aka ARM) is restricted.

This name is to distinguish from the "Windows Store app" (formerly known as Metro style apps) for Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Windows Store apps use WinRT APIs (with a few Win32 APIs still in use), are deployed through the Windows Store, and can target x86, x64, or Windows RT. They can be written using C++, C#, VB, or JavaScript+HTML5. They cannot be run on Windows 7, Windows Vista, etc.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:54 PM

All replies

• Windows desktops apps are just regular windows forms or wpf apps.   Windows store apps run in a sandbox and are typically xaml apps or DirectX games
    Monday, September 2, 2013 12:25 PM
  • And can I access camera in wpf application, I need to do application similar to barcode reader so I need analyze each camera preview frame?

Do you have any examples on that? I don't need analyze logic, I will use zxing for that.

THansks

Monday, September 2, 2013 1:03 PM
  • Hi, theTomWhite

This forum is mainly about windows store app in windows 8. If you have any questions about WPF app, you can look for help in this link: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=wpf.

Best Wishes!

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:32 AM
  • It's a traditional Windows application using the Win32 API. They can be written using any of the existing languages or tools available for Windows (C++, C#, Java, VB, etc.). It could be a Win32 desktop application written that requires Windows 8, or it could also be compatible with Windows 7, Windows Vista, etc. They can be written for Windows x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit). Win32 desktop application development for Windows RT (aka ARM) is restricted.

This name is to distinguish from the "Windows Store app" (formerly known as Metro style apps) for Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Windows Store apps use WinRT APIs (with a few Win32 APIs still in use), are deployed through the Windows Store, and can target x86, x64, or Windows RT. They can be written using C++, C#, VB, or JavaScript+HTML5. They cannot be run on Windows 7, Windows Vista, etc.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:54 PM