none
WAWS Preview to support .NET Framework 4.5

General discussion

• Update to the post 10/24/2012 - this the last update to the thread.

The update is complete. As of today, Windows Azure Web Sites are running .NET framework 4.5.

The Windows Azure Web Sites (WAWS) team is committed to listening to customer feedback, introducing new functionality and improving performance and user experience. In few days, we will update WAWS Preview to support.NET Framework 4.5, which has been one of the top asks from our customers.

With this update, all of WAWS web servers will run .NET Framework 4.5. This update is affecting all our web servers since our environment is fully managed. Also, .NET Framework 4.5 is an in place upgrade, running .NET Framework 4.5 and .NET Framework 4.0 side by side is not supported. Note that Web applications built with .NET Framework 4.0 will still work without any changes.

In preparation for this change, we have answered few questions that we think you might have.

Q: Why was my site upgraded to .NET Framework 4.5?

Windows Azure Web Sites has been upgraded to .NET Framework 4.5 due to popular demand in a strategic move to enable access to latest technology for our customers. As WAWS is a managed hosted environment all WAWS web servers are now running .NET 4.5

New features available in .NET Framework 4.5 are described at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/ms171868.aspx. New features available for ASP in .NET Framework 4.5 are described at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh420390.aspx and in more detail at http://www.asp.net/vnext/overview/whitepapers/whats-new

Q: How do I migrate my ASP.NET application to enable features in ASP.NET 4.5?

In order to provide the best backwards compatibility ASP.NET requires developers to target the .NET Framework 4.5. The Migration Guide to the .NET Framework 4.5 is a great place to start.

Q: What should I do if my app stops working?

We have worked very hard to make sure .NET Framework 4.0 applications work seamlessly with .NET 4.5. However, some changes in the .NET Framework may require changes to your web application code. Upgrading from earlier versions of .NET framework to 4.5 is easily achieved once you open your project in VS 2012. For more information about upgrading a project, see How to: Troubleshoot Unsuccessful Visual Studio Project Upgrades and follow the notes in the The Migration Guide to the .NET Framework 4.5.

Q: Can I configure my website to continue using .NET Framework 4.0 instead of upgrading to .NET Framework 4.5?

No .NET Framework 4.5 is an in-place upgrade that replaces .NET Framework 4, rather than a side-by-side installation.

Q: Why is .NET 4.5 not offered side-by-side with 4.0?

The .NET Framework 4.5 was designed as if it were a service pack to .NET 4.0 that also adds additional features to .NET 4.0. The .NET Framework 4.5 simply replaces previous assemblies during installation.

Q: Are HTML 5 Web Sockets available in Windows Azure Web Sites?

HTML 5 Web Socket support requires both .NET Framework 4.5 and Windows Server 2012. Today Windows Azure Web Sites is running on Windows Server 2008 R2, therefore HTML 5 Web Sockets are not supported on WAWS. Support for Windows Server 2012 is coming soon.

Q: Why is the Configure tab in the Azure Portal showing .NET 4.0 as an option?

This feature is being deployed in multiple stages and the .NET framework options in the Configure tab are still pending an update to align with the naming convention for .NET 4.5.

If you discover any compatibility issues with your ASP.NET application running on Windows Azure Web Sites, we want to hear about them via Forums Feedback or Windows Azure Support

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:01 PM

All replies

• Woohoo! Porting Http://robamney.com now :D

Richard Turner www.bitcrazed.com

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:22 AM
  • Great news! But how about Web Roles?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:03 AM
  • Thanks for the update. We also need to test and deploy our web sites (which now use .Net 4.5) using Visual Studio 2012. Right now the Azure tools in VS 2012 only allow web sites to be built, tested, and deployed using .Net 4.0. We'll either need an update for VS2012 or documentation for a work-around. 

Thanks again.

devtrekkers@devtreks.org

Friday, October 12, 2012 8:06 PM
  • can't wait for it. Makes a lot with Visual Studio 2012 easier, e.g. Identity and Access control.
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Are we going to get another email or message here announcing when the support for .NET 4.5 is actually available?
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Are we going to get another email or message here announcing when the support for .NET 4.5 is actually available?

+1 on this.

Martin

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Great news! But how about Web Roles?

And +1 on this.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Thanks for the update. We also need to test and deploy our web sites (which now use .Net 4.5) using Visual Studio 2012. Right now the Azure tools in VS 2012 only allow web sites to be built, tested, and deployed using .Net 4.0. We'll either need an update for VS2012 or documentation for a work-around. 

Thanks again.

devtrekkers@devtreks.org

+ 1 on this!   When will the development tools allow us to use .NET 4.5?  Also, when will Web Roles and Worker Roles support .NET 4.5?
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:50 PM
  • A few days ago Azure Portal said they were updating at login.
    I can't publish a 4.5 project, Error List says "Your hosting provider does not yet support ASP.NET 4.5"

I don't know if Azure Platform is at fault or VS2012. What to do? 

I tried this trick

<_Enable45Check>false</_Enable45Check>

no go, so I assume the node I'm connected to is not yet 4.5

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:56 PM
  • I was not able to get it alive - best what i saw was "invalid .net version" or such as web.config error. So, Net 4.5 is not available actually yet even on WAWS... Stop the marketing blah-blah-blah, please :( 

• Edited by Konstardiy Friday, October 19, 2012 3:14 PM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 3:14 PM
  • Try it now.. Finally works!
    Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:57 PM
  • It is fixed now.

Thursday, October 25, 2012 3:44 AM