Exiting metro apps without task manager?

Question

• Ok So I open up metro style apps from the start menu but I have no clue how to close them without using task manager. How do I close them? I dont have a touch screen btw.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 9:47 PM

Answers

• Even if you DID have a touch screen you wouldn't be able to close them, as far as I can see.

Microsoft clearly doesn't WANT us to think about closing them.  Someone must think the Macintosh model of just leaving things running is better.  Just open all the apps you can until your system falls down, then reboot.

Maybe the non-technical general public prefers it this way.

Bold?  Not if it leaves behind all the smart people who actually organize things and clean up after themselves.

The scary part is that the future of computing is at stake here.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Legendman3 Friday, September 16, 2011 10:12 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:03 PM

All replies

• Even if you DID have a touch screen you wouldn't be able to close them, as far as I can see.

Microsoft clearly doesn't WANT us to think about closing them.  Someone must think the Macintosh model of just leaving things running is better.  Just open all the apps you can until your system falls down, then reboot.

Maybe the non-technical general public prefers it this way.

Bold?  Not if it leaves behind all the smart people who actually organize things and clean up after themselves.

The scary part is that the future of computing is at stake here.

-Noel

• Marked as answer by Legendman3 Friday, September 16, 2011 10:12 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Hahaha. Well the good thing is that you can close them with task manager easily. Silly Microsoft dont follow bad examples.
    Friday, September 16, 2011 10:13 PM
  • They seem to have enough faith to allow people to manager multiple tabs in IE10. I would love to see a system like that as a simple task manager. Swipe down on the start screen, see snapshots of running apps, close them if you want.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:38 PM
  • Would it just be so tough to put an X in the upper-right corner (oh geez, that's the OLD way, I guess it would have to be an X in a circle in the bottom right corner or over in the charms list to be fashionable now).

Under what conditions would this cause cognitive overload or detract significantly from the user experience?  Inquiring minds want to know.

How lazy does Microsoft think people are getting that they shouldn't want to clean up after themselves?

Microsoft made systems that didn't have code to clean things up once before - virtually everything before Windows NT.  And they had to be booted every so often in order to continue to function.  Do we have to go down that road again?

-Noel

• Edited by Noel Carboni Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:02 PM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 7:00 PM