none
Multiple DAGs RRS feed

• Question

• My company is migrating to Exchange 2013. Most users (about 5000 mailboxes) will be connecting to HQ_DAG.  There are about 1000 mailboxes that we would like to replicate to another site for incident response and high availability. 

I have been told that in order to cut over to that HA site, the 4000 "general users" will be vacated from the DAG and not be able to use E-mail, while the 1000 incident response users will be getting their mail from the HA site.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it true that HQ users will not get mail when the HA site is activated.

2. Can I have the same servers a part of two separate DAGs??

I'm thinking if I can set them up on a separate DAG, on the same servers, then they can be cut-over to the HA site if there is a link failure. Then HQ can still communicate internally.

Thank you for your help.

• Edited by StevenAndrew Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:18 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 6:49 PM

All replies

• 2. Each DAG needs its own set of servers. That's for sure.

I'd defer to forum members more familiar with multi-site DAG implementations for the rest of your question.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 7:01 PM
  • 1. Is it true that HQ users will not get mail when the HA site is activated.

2. Can I have the same servers a part of two separate DAGs??

1. If both the servers are in the same AD site  both will receive the emails as it is connected network. Or if its different AD sites make sure AD sites and services configured properly.
    Just make sure exchange can reach other by its FQDN and DC is reachable for Exchange servers

2. You can't have same server as part of more than one DAG.

Thanks, MAS
    Please mark as helpful if you find my comment helpful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Edited by MAS- Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2014 8:20 PM