none
ProcessBeforeItemMove not fired in a calendar when I accept a meeting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm subscribed to events in a calendar and they all are fired in a right way, when I work with simple Appointments. 

When I receive a MeetingRequeste I get the following sequence of events:

Receiving a meeting request creates an appointment in the Calendar and you receive ItemAdd for Item1. Accepting the meeting request causes ItemAdd for Item2, ItemRemove for Item1 and a series of ItemChange for Item2.  Only in this case, the BeforeItemMove isn't fired.

This problem cannot be reproduce for commun appointments.When I handly create appointments or meeting requests, and I delete them, the BeforeItemMove event is fired just before RemoveItem event. 

Is it a bug? or is this the proper behavior?

For your information I work with Outlook 2013 SP1

Best regards,

Yolanda

Thursday, March 6, 2014 2:34 PM

Answers

• Hello Yolanda,

First of all, the Outlook object model doesn't provide any ProcessBeforeItemMove events. I know only the BeforeItemMove event of the Folder class.

Anyway, the scenario described above is not related to Outlook 2013 SP1 only. I can easily reproduce it in Outlook 2010. Most probably this is the way how Outlook operates with calendar items. MSDN provides the following description for the BeforeItemMove event:

Occurs when an item is about to be moved or deleted from a folder, either as a result of user action or through program code.

But in your scenario the calendar item is not removed, it is substituted by the new one. If I try to delete the calendar item (manually or programmatically) I always get the BeforeItemMove event fired.

Did you try to decline a meeting request? What events do you get in that case?

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:19 PM
  • Yolanda,

The documentation doesn't describe all possible pitfalls.

When you accept a meeting request an actual item is not removed - it is just substituted, nothing is removed. But if you decline the meeting request the item is removed and event is fired. This is the way how Outlook handles such scenarios. All Outlook versions works that way.

Friday, March 7, 2014 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hello Yolanda,

First of all, the Outlook object model doesn't provide any ProcessBeforeItemMove events. I know only the BeforeItemMove event of the Folder class.

Anyway, the scenario described above is not related to Outlook 2013 SP1 only. I can easily reproduce it in Outlook 2010. Most probably this is the way how Outlook operates with calendar items. MSDN provides the following description for the BeforeItemMove event:

Occurs when an item is about to be moved or deleted from a folder, either as a result of user action or through program code.

But in your scenario the calendar item is not removed, it is substituted by the new one. If I try to delete the calendar item (manually or programmatically) I always get the BeforeItemMove event fired.

Did you try to decline a meeting request? What events do you get in that case?

Thursday, March 6, 2014 9:19 PM
  • Hello Eugene,

First of all, thanks for your answer.

I did a mistake about the name, I agree the event name is BeforeItemMove.

As you sugested, I declined a meeting request in order to try the events launched. I get:

- At the reception of meeting request : ItemAdd, ItemChange

- When I decline : BeforeItemMove, ItemMove

I can't understand why when an item is substituded, the BeforeItemMove isn't fired. As I understand, when an element is substituted it's definitely deleted. So, according to documentation :

"This event fires when the item is about to be moved to another folder (including the Deleted Items folder) or when the item is about to be permanently deleted. It does not fire during auto-archiving or synchronizing operations."

The BeforeItemMove should be launched.

This is the expected behavior I see when I decline a MeetingRequest.

Under my point of view :

- This is a bug

- Or the documentation is wrong.

Regards,

Yolanda

Friday, March 7, 2014 10:06 AM
  • Yolanda,

The documentation doesn't describe all possible pitfalls.

When you accept a meeting request an actual item is not removed - it is just substituted, nothing is removed. But if you decline the meeting request the item is removed and event is fired. This is the way how Outlook handles such scenarios. All Outlook versions works that way.

Friday, March 7, 2014 10:35 AM