none
SSIS for Resource creation in Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have found out the table in which ProjectServer stores the resource information.

Can i use SSIS to migrate our exsisting users to the resource table? Is there any best practice for that.

I know that i can use web service. But i prefer SSIS.

Thanks

Kiran

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 1:50 PM

Answers

• Not at all, you should not edit or write any thing directly to the published/archive/draft DB, by doing this you would be violating and in turn end up loosing MS Support
    and above all except for Reporting DB, none other DB's schema are published for reference, so you don't know which all places you would require to write the information, also you might end up messing your project server,  

The other way i would recommend to pursue, is through using the documented PSI for bulk updation  

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by kiran6 Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:48 PM

All replies

• Not at all, you should not edit or write any thing directly to the published/archive/draft DB, by doing this you would be violating and in turn end up loosing MS Support
    and above all except for Reporting DB, none other DB's schema are published for reference, so you don't know which all places you would require to write the information, also you might end up messing your project server,  

The other way i would recommend to pursue, is through using the documented PSI for bulk updation  

Thanks | Sunil Kr Singh | http://epmxperts.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by kiran6 Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Hi Sunil,

Thanks for the guidence. You helped me in taking the desision. Thanks a lot.

Thanks

Kiran

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 8:26 AM
  • Actually i think you are to use SSIS for the task, especially if you know SSIS (here i absoultely disagree with Sunil Kumar Singh as far as in his answer he absolutely omitted SSIS capabilities to use for the solution) - it allows you to reduce the amount of code significantly with visual SSIS designers, use SSIS logging capabilities,  ..... 

There are two ways to incorporate PSI calls within SSIS:

1. Custom Destination Component (i widely use it right now)

2. Data Flow Script component (never used it for destination but can be useful)

Sergey Vdovin
    Wednesday, January 19, 2011 6:36 PM