none
Unable to install Kinect SDK RRS feed

• Question

• I have just tried installing the Kinect SDK, and when I run it I get an error message with the following text:

"This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

All I did was download the 64-bit SDK and then try to run it on my 64-bit version of Windows 7. What am I doing wrong?

Thursday, June 30, 2011 5:15 PM

Answers

• So it turns out that in order for me to get it to work, I had to run the command prompt as an administrator and then use the command:

msiexec /i <package>.msi

Thanks for the help!

• Marked as answer by Brian1337 Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:39 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:39 PM

All replies

• Did this error have error code 2350 by any chance? If so, it could be that your msi installer is an old version. Try installing Visual Studio 2010 Express (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/express) first and then try again.

If error is not 2350, let me know any other details you notice and I'll try to help.
    Eddy

I'm here to help
    • Proposed as answer by darylliney70 Thursday, November 17, 2011 9:12 PM
    Friday, July 1, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Hey Eddy,

Thanks for getting back to me. There is not any error code displayed at all when this message shows up. The window that shows up is just titled "Windows Installer", has the red "X" error image on the left hand side, and an "OK" box at the bottom for me to click on. It does not give me any other information unforntunatley.

I had just installed the Visual C# 2010 Express, and the C++ version also, right before I had tried to install the Kinect SDK.

The computer that I am using is straight out of the box, I only installed Windows Updates and then the 2 Express programs. Is there maybe something I need to make sure I have uninstalled for it to work?

Thanks,

Brian

Friday, July 1, 2011 12:37 PM
  • I guess we can make same considerations:

1. run Windows Update and make sure you dont have any important package to install.

2. make sure you download the correct package for your OS, I mean, x86 or x64. I have x64 and the installer worked fine.

3. make sure the downloaded file was not corrupted. For example, if you download x32 to run in OS x64 you will get a message like "you cannot run this package in x64".

4. you try some options in command line. Check the options using <package>.msi /help

Cheers.

System Architect
    Friday, July 1, 2011 7:07 PM
  • So it turns out that in order for me to get it to work, I had to run the command prompt as an administrator and then use the command:

msiexec /i <package>.msi

Thanks for the help!

• Marked as answer by Brian1337 Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:39 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 12:39 PM