none
Kinect Studio - IR and Depth Frames Arrivement stopped during long time Recording RRS feed

• Question

• Hallo everyone,

I'm currently playing around with long time Recording (up to 8 hours) with the Kinect by using KinectStudio. After my first recording session, I saw that after 2hours 25min there were no more IR and Depth-Frames recorded. The Sensor Telemetry was captured correctly during the whole time and audio stopped at about 1hour 30. 

I'm currently trying to reproduce the effect and making a second recording. Does anyone have similar issues? I think that maybe the Service is going in some kind of standby mode, but I'm really not sure about that. 

Can somebody help me explaining this behavior? Is there a workaround or something to keep the sensor recording?

Best Regards,

Thasmiel

Update:

The problem is still there. I'm recording only IR,Depth,Audio and Telemetry; No color.

I tried several different approaches so far:

• used 3 different PCs
    • used 2 different external hard drives (72000 RPM)
    • used a internal harddrive (72000 RPM)
    • PC was only performing recording with display off (no sleep mode/standby/lock activated)
    • PC was used normally during recording 
    • used kinect studio
    • used kinect studio api
    • used own code for recording 

The behavior is always the same

1. Recording goes perfectly fine, monitor is updating, buffer is not used/visible, visible size in Studio updates as expected.
    2. After 2hours and 25min: monitor seems to update, buffer is not used/visible, BUT: visible size in Studio updates only by a small amount of bytes per frame
    3. After stopping the recording and reviewing the recording: no Frames IR and Depth-Frames after 2:25 till record is stopped; Audio stopped earlier before IR and Depth; Sensor telemetry is arrived and written normally

Now, I really don't know what I could try to analyze or change that behavior :/ 

Best Regards,

Thasmiel

• Edited by Thasmiel Thursday, May 7, 2015 12:57 PM Updated Problem with further analyses so far
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hello Sebastian,

I checked with one of our Kinect Studio developers and he confirmed that we do have a limit of 256 * 1024 = 262,144 events per stream. That's just under 2.5 hrs of recording time, which is what you've been hitting. Kinect Studio uses the KStudioClient APIs, so you'll encounter the issue using both of the approaches that you described above. I would suggest dividing your 8-hr recording into four, 2-hr sessions to avoid hitting the limit. The KStudio APIs should allow you to automate the solution.

~Angela

• Proposed as answer by angela.h [MSFT] Monday, June 8, 2015 11:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Thasmiel Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:58 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2015 11:33 PM

All replies

• Were you recording and saving to disk in KinectStudio? That amount of data may start filling up disk space pretty quickly. I have ran multiple v2s without issue for many hours, but I didnt use KinectStudio, I just used my own apps. Can you run another SDK sample for hours to test if it is due to the software or hardware you are using?
    Thursday, April 30, 2015 9:19 AM
  • Thanks for the Reply Phil!

I'm recording to an external HDD with 4TB free space. I assumed Filesize of 1,2 TB for an 8hour recording, but the resulting file was only 230GB large. The Disk has enough free space, so no simple solution here. 

I just did the recording on another PC with a different HDD, no sleep mode or anything. The same behaviour there, no Depth and IR frames recorded after 2h25. Audio stopped at 2h24. The Kinect Monitor was still running and updating frames. Filesize is about 230GB again. Next thing I'll try is recording by using my own classes.

Thanks so far,

Thasmiel

Thursday, April 30, 2015 12:00 PM
  • what are the write speeds like on the drive? Are you using 7200 RPM or SSD type drives? Can you confirm the performance of the drives did not effect the buffer in KinectStudio?

As Phil stated, can you run without recording and see issues of performance on the machine when running the sensor. A simple app to check frame rate and report when it drops below a threshold consistently will tell. See the troubleshooting guide for tips to ensure you machine doesn't throttle down the system cause bandwidth delay's: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, April 30, 2015 10:35 PM
  • Hallo carmine,

The Drive is running on 7200 RPM and worked well for all other records I did previously. There is enough RAM (> 24GB; 10GB used for KinectStudio). In Studio, no Buffer was shown during the records any other time and not if I checked the recording. I only record IR, depth, Telemetry and audio stream. 

It seems to be the same behavior for recording with Studio, with the Studio API and with my own recording app. 

8 hour recording:

8 hour recording3 hour recording:

3 hour recording

Friday, May 1, 2015 2:41 AM
  • As you stated, this is an external drive, Is the external drive connected to the same bus as the Kinect? The Kinect is not friendly to sharing the bus given that we have to maintain very tight timing or the runtime will forcibly disconnect and re-establish connection with the device causing drop-outs. See the troubleshooting thread for behaviors that will be exhibited if that is happening.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20dbadae-dcee-406a-b66f-a182d76cea3b/troubleshooting-and-common-issues-guide?forum=kinectv2sdk

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:48 PM
  • The drive is connected to a different bus than the kinect. I've looked at the written Sensor Telemetry data to the file and that seems to be normal. I think the problem is not the external harddrive, but I'll make another recording to the internal drive to check that.

I've looked also at the troubleshooting guide and thought about possible problems with the GPU. Could it be that the graphics card stops processing the Frames because of some hybernation/sleep mode that starts after over 2 hours? It bothers me that the Sensor telemetry seems fine and depth, IR and audio simply stops. 

Thanks for the help so far :)

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:23 PM
  • Hi, I tested this on two machines (laptop and desktop) that are routinely used for Kinect2 recordings, on external and internal drives, the effect was always the same:

• Custom recorders that connect to the DepthFrameSource.FrameReady event and write the frame content to the drive work and write 8 hours of data.
    • Kinect Studio, both the application and the KStudioClient used in C# code, stop after 262140 events for any stream. The depth and IR record roughly 2:25 hours of data (262140 events of length 33 ms) and then get stuck in event 262141 which has the length of the remaining recording time (e.g. 5:35 hours for a 8 hour recording). The audio stream gets stuck in event 262141, too, after about 1:30 hours, since its events are generally a bit shorter. Telemetry events are a lot longer and hence do not run into the 262140 limit.

Could this be some arbitrary internal restriction of KStudio? Is it just my me or is 262140 suspiciously close to 2^18...? ;)

Carmine, does this help identifying the problem? If you need further data for pinpointing this I'd be happy to provide it.

Best, Sebastian

Monday, June 8, 2015 4:11 PM
  • Hello Sebastian,

I checked with one of our Kinect Studio developers and he confirmed that we do have a limit of 256 * 1024 = 262,144 events per stream. That's just under 2.5 hrs of recording time, which is what you've been hitting. Kinect Studio uses the KStudioClient APIs, so you'll encounter the issue using both of the approaches that you described above. I would suggest dividing your 8-hr recording into four, 2-hr sessions to avoid hitting the limit. The KStudio APIs should allow you to automate the solution.

~Angela

• Proposed as answer by angela.h [MSFT] Monday, June 8, 2015 11:33 PM
    • Marked as answer by Thasmiel Tuesday, June 9, 2015 4:58 AM
    Monday, June 8, 2015 11:33 PM