none
Application Call to old version of Word (97) RRS feed

• Question

• I have a old application that makes a call to Word97.document().  We have since moved to Office 2010 and our old application can no longer open Microsoft Word documents.  I've researched this issue and I have hit a brick wall.  I would like to create a service to listen for the call to the Word97.document() and change it to Word.document().  I cannot change the code of the old application.  I'm just looking for some guidance in either extending the class in a service or any other ideas that anyone can come up with.

Thanks,

Jon

• Edited by jarbach Tuesday, October 8, 2013 8:31 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 8:30 PM

All replies

• The syntax Word97.document() is not ringing any bells. You need to provide more information, such as

- the programming language/environment

- what Word97 / Word is. Word97 is not a term in the Word APIs. The term Word is often used in .NET languages as an alias in a using/Imports statement for the full namespace qualification to the Word PIAs. Is that how you use it, or is this something else?

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013 1:34 PM
  • Cindy,

Thanks for responding, sorry I haven't responded.

I use Visual Basic .NET and C# / Visual Studio 2010

I could be going about this completely wrong.  Our system is an old Java (Jinitiator) / Oracle program.  The reporting portion creates a Word 97 Doc that sits on the root of the system.  The system works with Word 97, 2000 and 2003, but if you move up to 2007 or greater it starts throwing errors and will not create any reports.  We have to move up to the newer versions of office, it's been mandated by our State IT department.  

The errors are pretty generic, usually a OLE error followed by a cannot find Document.Open and it ends with a Document.(0) error.  I can get specifics if you need them.

I just need a band aid fix to last about 9 months, until we can replace the old system.

Thanks,

Jonathan Arbach

ND Department of Corrections

Friday, October 18, 2013 1:37 PM
  • Hi Jonathan

This doesn't sound like it's a VSTO project? If that's the case, then the discussion should be move to Word for Developers.

But, in any case, you still don't give us enough information that we can even begin to imagine what kind of code you're using and what would be causing any problems you're seeing. As I mentioned before, you're not using terms that pertain to the Word API or PIAs - nothing we can recognize.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

Friday, October 18, 2013 5:45 PM
  • Sounds rather like Word97 is just a variable and the code contains something like:

Dim Word97 As Word.Application
    Set Word97 = New Word.Application
    or:
    Dim Word97 As Object
    Set Word97 = CreateObject("Word.Application")

though the reference to Word97.document() suggests it's not VBA as per the above.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Saturday, October 19, 2013 2:36 AM