How to enable USB events logging in ETW on Win7? RRS feed

Answers

• The presenters of the WinHEC 2008 presntation will be posting a document by the end of June which describes how to enable their ETW events on Windows 7 and how to make use of them.  The document will most likely be posted on Microsoft WHDC site here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/default.mspx

That's all the information I have at this time on how to enable and make use of those ETW Events. I know that there are a couple of event providers which log events to the Event Log:
    PS C:\> get-winevent -listprovider *usb*

Name                                                        LogLinks
    ----                                                        --------
    usbperf                                                     {Application}
    usb_rndisx                                                  {System}
    Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB                                {Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB/Diagnostic}
    Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT                               {Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT/Diagnostic}
    I don't know if any of these event providers would contain the information you need, however.
    Kevin
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Woley Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by ymhuang Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:57 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:37 PM

All replies

• The presenters of the WinHEC 2008 presntation will be posting a document by the end of June which describes how to enable their ETW events on Windows 7 and how to make use of them.  The document will most likely be posted on Microsoft WHDC site here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/default.mspx

That's all the information I have at this time on how to enable and make use of those ETW Events. I know that there are a couple of event providers which log events to the Event Log:
    PS C:\> get-winevent -listprovider *usb*

Name                                                        LogLinks
    ----                                                        --------
    usbperf                                                     {Application}
    usb_rndisx                                                  {System}
    Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB                                {Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBHUB/Diagnostic}
    Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT                               {Microsoft-Windows-USB-USBPORT/Diagnostic}
    I don't know if any of these event providers would contain the information you need, however.
    Kevin
    • Proposed as answer by Kevin Woley Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by ymhuang Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:57 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Appreciate for your help.  It give me the hint to enable logging. 

Thanks again.
    ymhuang
    Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:57 PM