none
Loading custom properties in an appointment from a shared calendar RRS feed

• Question

• It doesn't appear possible to use loadCustomPropertiesAsync on an appointment that is in a shared calendar. when I do so, the resulting status is failed...

is this correct? We need to be able to store properties for each appointment per user, but this doesn't appear to be possible with a shared calendar.

We attempted to work around this by using the roamingSettings object, but it appears these properties are not per message (like custom Properties are) but rather GLOBAL to the application, so no matter what message they open it will always have the same properties.

Is this the case? is there any workaround to this? users want to be able to utilize the compose app but need to be able to use it with shared calendars.

is this not supported at all?

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 6:38 PM

Answers

• thank you for your reply, and while I appreciate your suggested workaround, I am unable to see how it would work.

The problem is that we need a way to uniquely identify the appointment into which it has been installed. This is impossible for several reasons:

1. The itemID property is unavailable in compose mode

2. userProfile.emailAddress returns only the email address of the logged in user, not the mailbox address of the appointment

3. the selected calendar property of the appointment is not available via the JavaScript API

We attempted to workaround this by searching the appointment properties via EWS (subject,start, end) and this COULD have worked, except if the user installs the app into an appointment that is on a shared calendar, there is no way to tell EWS what mailbox to search for the event, nor is there a way to persist the resulting itemID and calendar mailbox value.

We hoped that we could have the user select the mailbox manually so that it could know where to search, then save both the itemID and the selected mailbox so that future openings of the item and app would have a headstart and could load automatically.

Unfortunately since custom properties don't work with shared calendars, it appears we are completely out of options, and can no longer pursue this app add-in as a viable solution.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? if so, any news on whether or not the next release of the API will allow such a feature (and/or its timeline for release)?

Finally, I've created a UserVoice to support shared calendars, if anyone else has this issue, please upvote it here: http://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-general/suggestions/8013672-appointment-api-does-not-support-multiple-shared

Friday, June 5, 2015 2:35 PM

All replies

• Hi SelAromDotNet,

>> It doesn't appear possible to use loadCustomPropertiesAsync on an appointment that is in a shared calendar. when I do so, the resulting status is failed... is this correct?

Yes, you are right, it is impossible to use loadCustomPropertiesAsync on an appointment. The CustomProperties object represents custom properties that are specific to a particular item for outlook.

>> but it appears these properties are not per message (like custom Properties are) but rather GLOBAL to the application, so no matter what message they open it will always have the same properties.

As you find, the RoamingSettings object are saved per app and per user. They are available to the app that created them. If you use the same app, you will get the same RoamingSettings property.

>> Is this the case? is there any workaround to this? users want to be able to utilize the compose app but need to be able to use it with shared calendars.

For a workaround, I suggest you store the UserProfile and the data in other place like Sql database, and when you want to get the data, you could get it with UserProfile which you stored in the sql database. UserProfile obejct host application's user profile information.

# UserProfile object (JavaScript API for Office)

https://msdn.microsoft.com/EN-US/library/office/fp161126.aspx

Hope it will help.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, June 5, 2015 8:20 AM
  • thank you for your reply, and while I appreciate your suggested workaround, I am unable to see how it would work.

The problem is that we need a way to uniquely identify the appointment into which it has been installed. This is impossible for several reasons:

1. The itemID property is unavailable in compose mode

2. userProfile.emailAddress returns only the email address of the logged in user, not the mailbox address of the appointment

3. the selected calendar property of the appointment is not available via the JavaScript API

We attempted to workaround this by searching the appointment properties via EWS (subject,start, end) and this COULD have worked, except if the user installs the app into an appointment that is on a shared calendar, there is no way to tell EWS what mailbox to search for the event, nor is there a way to persist the resulting itemID and calendar mailbox value.

We hoped that we could have the user select the mailbox manually so that it could know where to search, then save both the itemID and the selected mailbox so that future openings of the item and app would have a headstart and could load automatically.

Unfortunately since custom properties don't work with shared calendars, it appears we are completely out of options, and can no longer pursue this app add-in as a viable solution.

Can anyone confirm this is the case? if so, any news on whether or not the next release of the API will allow such a feature (and/or its timeline for release)?

Finally, I've created a UserVoice to support shared calendars, if anyone else has this issue, please upvote it here: http://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-general/suggestions/8013672-appointment-api-does-not-support-multiple-shared

Friday, June 5, 2015 2:35 PM
  • Hi SelAromDotNet,

Thanks for sharing us the information. Currently, I’m not able to find any other useful workaround to achieve your requirement.

Thanks for your UserVoice, and I have upvoted it.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:51 AM