none
Command Line options for TAP.EXE RRS feed

• Question

•  

I now have a clean install of WES 2009 and thought I'd give the "TAP.EXE /i" a whirl. I can't get it to work.  All I get is....

Code Snippet

C:\Program Files\Windows Embedded\utilities>tap /i
    Target Analyzer Probe v2.00.1500.0

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 2001. All rights reserved.
    Usage: TAP [/o FILENAME] [/r] [/q] [/?]

Options:
            /o   Output filename ( default = devices.pmq )
            /r   Change the registry path to ControlSet001 ( default = CurrentControlSet )
            /i   Ignore SW enumerated devices
            /q   Quiet Mode
            /?   Displays this message

Note: All Output file names must have .PMQ extension.

If it is not present, it will be appended to the end.

Press any key to continue

Do you have to specify a range of arguments?

Sunday, November 16, 2008 6:41 AM

All replies

• 1st ensure that the media you are running the tap program from is read /write enabled

next just typing tap at the command prompt will create the pmq with the default name of devices.pmq

the command line switches give you a little more flexibility

as in the following

tap /o test  will output the file with the name test

this is all you really need to get something.

Also what are you using to boot the media you wish to run the tap from ?

WAIK disc or a winPE etc

Since WinPE does not have Software emunlated device support in any case so a tap created in that environment is perfect for what you need.

in the past i have put the entire XP Pro onto a device before running the Tap as that way I get much better detection of hardware and such.

of course there is the long hand method of just creating the PMQ and then manually reoving the SW entries.

but i have not encountered a problem using the tap.exe / i switch in the past.

good luck

good article about this here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/embedded/default.aspx?p=2
    right near the bottom of the article --- tip of the day --Disable software enumerated devices.

Monday, November 17, 2008 9:36 AM
    Answerer
  • I'm sorry but your reply is over the top.

I'm aware what the options are, as I've listed them in my post.  What I was pointing out was that the command line option doesn't seem to work.  If I omit the option "/i" TAP.EXE works as normal and yes I can give it a name.

You discussed where you might launch TAP.exe from which doesn't have the slightest relation to wether or not a command line option would work.

You also mentioned the slow and painful method manual stripping out the entries one by one.  Lets all go back to old NT4 days then shall we?  The whole idea of the /i option is to quickly generate a PMQ file that is void of software enumerated devices.

Is there anyone here who has the /i switch working?

BTW I am using a clean install of WES2009, so the tap.exe version is 2.0.1500.0

Monday, November 24, 2008 11:02 PM
  • Well if there is an undocumented feature using the /i switch, then use TA.EXE, but remember to add the bridge chip components. Alternatively, just remove all the multimedia components found with TAP.EXE.

-Sean

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 5:27 AM