none
Security Policy/CAS Problem when converting 1.1 to 2.0 RRS feed

• Question

• All --

Background

I have been searching all the forums and KBase articles I can locate to research a problem I have encountered. The plethora of information I have thumbed through indicates I am not the first to encounter this type problem; however, I can't seem to locate a concise answer.

Brief Scenario

1. A month ago, I had Vis Studio loaded on a Windows XP client. I had a VB.Net application built on a server that resides on our LAN. This server application is my development application that I add new features to, test, and then deploy to a production server. We have this test application loaded on a server so more than one of us can access it. The app ran on Framework 1.1.

2. Management walked in the door and informed me I was going to lose the XP client and have it replaced my a new Vista client due to improved security features. My diligent research indicated I would have to go to VS 2005 and upgrade my development 1.1 Framework to 2.0.

3. We upgraded the share folder to 2.0 and I upgraded my project using the VS 2005 upgrade wizard. Seemed to go pretty well.

4. When I attempted to run my newly upgraded test application through the VS 2005 debugger, I got the dreaded "The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file."

5.  I found a great article dicussing CASPOL at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320268  I went to the server that the test application resides on and used the command line input described in the article: D:\WINNT\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.0.50727\caspol.exe -m -ag 1 -url file:////\\TestServer\TestApp\* FullTrust -exclusive on.

6.  I restarted IIS services.

I added the following code to my web.config immediately following the system.web tag as suggested in another article:  

<securityPolicy>

<trustLevel name="Full" policyFile="internal"/>

</securityPolicy>

I'm still getting the error. Is there a major step I am overlooking but have not been able to locate in my search?

Thanks in advance ...

Retred Air Force
    Monday, February 2, 2009 9:16 PM

Answers

• Hi GaryAF,

Based on my understanding, you have some problems on your ASP.NET project. Since your issue is related to that, you could post your thread on ASP.NET Forum to get more help.

If I misunderstand your issue, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:09 AM