Data Management Gateway RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I created a data management gateway on a local SQL server.
    When I want to copy data to an Azure SQL server.
    The copy activity fails and I receive the error that the Azure SQL Server is not reachable.

When I look into the local machine, I can see an error in the event viewer of the Data Management Gateway.
    Indicating that it cannot connect to the Azure SQL Server.
    I know it cannot connect to the Azure SQL Server direct, that's why I installed a Data Management Gateway.

For me the local Data Management Gateway should not connect to the destination. But to the ADF itself.
    Then the ADF should connect to the destination.

Is this correct reasoning?
    Is the Data Management Gateway functioning in a correct way?

Kind regards,

Florian

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:05 PM

Answers

• Florian,

You may need to allow remote connections from the IP address of the Gateway machine to the Azure SQL instance. See, for example, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-firewall-configure/.

If that does not help, please paste the actual error to this thread and we will see how to help.

Lynn

• Marked as answer by Florian Devos Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Hello,

thank you for your answer.
    I indeed need to configure the firewall.

I found out that ADF doens't connect to the dataset, it is just the orchestrator
    So the DMG does the 'Actaul' work and needs to be able to reach the destination dataset from where the DMG is installed.

-Florian

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:20 AM

All replies

• Florian,

You may need to allow remote connections from the IP address of the Gateway machine to the Azure SQL instance. See, for example, https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/sql-database-firewall-configure/.

If that does not help, please paste the actual error to this thread and we will see how to help.

Lynn

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:32 PM
  • Hello,

thank you for your answer.
    I indeed need to configure the firewall.

I found out that ADF doens't connect to the dataset, it is just the orchestrator
    So the DMG does the 'Actaul' work and needs to be able to reach the destination dataset from where the DMG is installed.

-Florian

Thursday, April 21, 2016 10:20 AM