none
Obtaining the width of a Shape RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to find the width of a shape?  The ImageList class has the GetWidthOfImage, but there's no equivalent in the Shapes class.

I've only been playing with SB for almost a week now, so forgive me if this is trivial.

What I am attempting to do is to load an image into a Shape object, zoom it and then find the width of that Shape image.

Maybe there's a better way to do what I'm attempting.  Is there a way to resize an ImageList image before stuffing it into a Shape object (has to be a Shape so I can move it).

Thanks in advance for any help.

The program I'm writting is: GTK593

(BTW, is there a way to get a permanent publish ID?)
    • Changed type aadams Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:12 AM It was really a question
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 8:38 PM

Answers

• I think the easiest way is to programatically keep track of the Zoom scaling - this would also be faster than constantly calling a GetWidth type function even if it existed for Shapes.

For example the ball scaling is held in variable ballScale and the width/height can be calculated from this and the original image dimensions:

ballImage = ImageList.LoadImage("http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/fasticon/world-cup-2006/ball-icon.jpg")
    ballWidth = ImageList.GetWidthOfImage(ballImage)
    ballHeight = ImageList.GetHeightOfImage(ballImage)
    ball = Shapes.AddImage(ballImage)
    Shapes.Move(ball,(GraphicsWindow.Width-ballWidth)/2,(GraphicsWindow.Height-ballHeight)/2) 'Center the ball

For ballScale = 0.1 To 10 Step 0.1
      Shapes.Zoom(ball,ballScale,ballScale)
      GraphicsWindow.Title = "Image width is "+ballScale*ballWidth
      Program.Delay(100)
    EndFor

I think the publish IDs are pretty permanemt - sometimes the 'sample of the month' gets a special ID set by Vijaye such as 'ASTEROIDS'.

BTW, this thread is really a question, and the 'getOpacity' is more of a discussion or observation rather than question - there is also a sticky thread for reporting Bugs (so they don't get overlooked).
    • Marked as answer by aadams Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:53 PM

All replies

• I think the easiest way is to programatically keep track of the Zoom scaling - this would also be faster than constantly calling a GetWidth type function even if it existed for Shapes.

For example the ball scaling is held in variable ballScale and the width/height can be calculated from this and the original image dimensions:

ballImage = ImageList.LoadImage("http://icons.iconarchive.com/icons/fasticon/world-cup-2006/ball-icon.jpg")
    ballWidth = ImageList.GetWidthOfImage(ballImage)
    ballHeight = ImageList.GetHeightOfImage(ballImage)
    ball = Shapes.AddImage(ballImage)
    Shapes.Move(ball,(GraphicsWindow.Width-ballWidth)/2,(GraphicsWindow.Height-ballHeight)/2) 'Center the ball

For ballScale = 0.1 To 10 Step 0.1
      Shapes.Zoom(ball,ballScale,ballScale)
      GraphicsWindow.Title = "Image width is "+ballScale*ballWidth
      Program.Delay(100)
    EndFor

I think the publish IDs are pretty permanemt - sometimes the 'sample of the month' gets a special ID set by Vijaye such as 'ASTEROIDS'.

BTW, this thread is really a question, and the 'getOpacity' is more of a discussion or observation rather than question - there is also a sticky thread for reporting Bugs (so they don't get overlooked).
    • Marked as answer by aadams Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:12 AM
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 9:53 PM
  • Thanks again!  Don't know why I didn't think of that.... it's been a long day!

Oh, and sorry about the miss-categorizing the question.  I've changed the type to a question, and will change the other to discussion.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:13 AM
  • Oh, and as for the publish ID's.  What's happening for me is each time I publish it gives me a new ID.  So if I want to share it with others, I have to re-announce the ID.  I was hoping there was a way to have an ID stick so that my friends, kids, students, etc... would always have the latest and greatest.
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Not sure if this is the best way...

Import the current ID. 
     Cut and paste your new code into that window, removing the old code.
     Click publish.

QFL408 becomes QFL408-0

Then you just have to give the revision number
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:42 PM
  • is there a way to delete the old version
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 2:56 AM