Formatting Medical Annotation Content RRS feed

• Question

• I am using the Medical Annotation thing type to store transcribed notes from a physician. In our application, these notes usually have multiple lines and are displayed using the pre HTML tag. Below is an example. However, when I set the Annotation.Content string to these notes, the notes appear all run together in the HealthVault explorer (i.e., the newlines don't appear to be honored). Is there any way to have the HealthVault explorer honor the newlines in the content string? Should I be using a different thing type?

Example notes:

TEST HEALTH CENTER             |   NAME:  TESTLNAME,TESTFNAME
                    123 Elm Street               |
                 Somewhere, PA  12345            |   UNIT:  M000000123
                                                 |
                                                 |   DATE: 11/08/09
                                                 |
                   OPERATIVE REPORT              |   ROOM:  301       LOCATION: ABC
                                                 |
                                                 |   DOCTOR:  DOE,JOHN
                                                 |
                                                 |   ACCT:  V00000001
                                                 |________________________________________________

DATE OF PROCEDURE:

Today

PREOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS:

Need for vascular access.

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS:

Need for vascular access.

PROCEDURE PERFORMED:

1.  Ultrasound guidance for needle placement into the left basilic vein.

2.  Placement of a 5-French, dual-lumen Power PICC SOLO (peripherally inserted

central catheter) via the left basilic vein.

PROCEDURALIST:

Jane Doe, RN CCRN

PICC Certified

ANESTHESIA:

Local with 1% Lidocaine.

INDICATIONS:

TESTFNAME,TESTLNAME  is a 43-year-old female.  As the patient will require vascular

access, request came for PICC placement. The patient presents now for PICC insertion.

DESCRIPTION OF OPERATION:

Informed consent was obtained.  Prior to consent, discussion included risks such as

infection, catheter malposition, bleeding, or thrombus.  Benefits were also discussed

and included extended use for a long period of time, access for blood draws, and IV

medications.  Patient/family understand both the risks and benefits and are in

agreement to proceed as planned.

Ultrasound imaging confirmed the left basilic vein. A site on the arm was marked for

needle placement. A hard copy of the venous access site was made.  The patient was

placed in a position of comfort with the elbow support, arm extended and the palm up.

Measurements for the PICC length was performed and measured at 43 cm.

The patient was prepped and draped in the usual sterile manner.  Maximum barrier

precautions were maintained.  The PICC was trimmed to a length of 43 cm.  Local

anesthetic was achieved at the insertion site using 1% Lidocaine.

The vein was then entered using a 21-gauge micropuncture needle under direct

ultrasound guidance.  The needle was observed being placed into the vein by

ultrasound.  After blood return was obtained, a 0.018 wire was advanced without

TESTFNAME,TESTLNAME                    M000000123

difficulty.  The needle was exchanged for a 5-French dilator and peel-away sheath

over the wire.  The dilator and the wire were removed and the pre-cut PICC was

inserted into the peel-away sheath.  The peel-away sheath was removed and the

catheter was advanced 43 cm. The port(s) was/ were flushed with normal saline as per

protocol.  The PICC was secured using a StatLock device and a dry transparent

dressing was applied.  A chest x-ray was obtained to verify tip placement.

The patient tolerated the procedure well.

DOE,JOHN

MAZAN               IA

D: 11/08/09 1620    T: 11/08/09 1620                                      RPT#: 1109-0003

Sunday, November 15, 2009 4:36 AM

Answers

• Our fastest cadence is about every 8 weeks or so, but some releases take a bit longer, and we of course work on things in priority order.

The earliest we could address this is in a release in the March timeframe, but we'll need to see how it ranks versus other things we have in the pipeline.

• Marked as answer by Matt7121 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:06 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:28 PM

All replies

• Sorry for the slow response.

Can you take a look at the 0910 release that just went live on the PPE servers today? I think we did some work in this area but am not sure if it addresses your specific scenario.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Eric,

Thanks for your response. If I understood you correctly, the 0910 release is a new version of the HealthVault explorer, and to take a look at that release I was supposed to open up HealthVault explorer and see if my annotations looked any different. Is that correct? If so, they still appear to be run all together (i.e., the newlines aren't honored). If not, could you please elaborate on what you meant by the updated release?

Thanks again for your help.

Matt
    Saturday, November 28, 2009 5:58 AM
  • That was what I meant.

We will consider this for an upcoming release. I'm not sure when we'll get to it as we haven't planned beyond the current release yet.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:41 PM
  • Eric,

Thanks for your reply. One final question before I mark the thread as answered: Are your releases on a periodic schedule (e.g., three times per year), or do they come as you meet a certain level of functionality? Just wanted to get a feel for how quickly releases are put out.

Thanks again,
    Matt
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:51 PM
  • Our fastest cadence is about every 8 weeks or so, but some releases take a bit longer, and we of course work on things in priority order.

The earliest we could address this is in a release in the March timeframe, but we'll need to see how it ranks versus other things we have in the pipeline.

• Marked as answer by Matt7121 Wednesday, December 9, 2009 2:06 AM
    Monday, December 7, 2009 5:28 PM