none
What's the difference between even page and odd page section breaks? RRS feed

Answers

• Hi David,

In order to better understand the problems, let’s modify one of your files, OddPage.docx.

First add a footer containing the current page and the total number of pages.

Second generate a few more section breaks by copying and pasting the existing three paragraphs: the first one containing the text 123, the second one containing sectPr with <w:type w:val="evenPage"/>, and the third one containing the text 456.  Copy the three paragraphs, and perform a paste two times.  For easier reference change the text in the first copy to 789 and ABC, and in the second one to DEF and GHI.

In Word 2013 you should see the first page starts with text 123 and Page 2 of 6; the last page should contain GHI and Page 7 of 6. We’ll return later to explain the rendering.

Go to File / Print and enlarge the print preview part. The first page should look the same as in Word editing, but the second page is empty. This second page was generated by Word according to the standard ISO/IEC 29500-1:2012 section 17.18.77 ST_SectionMark (Section Type)
    evenPage (Even Page Section Break) Specifies an even page section break, which begins the new section on the next even-numbered page, leaving the next odd page blank if necessary.

These empty pages are displayed in the print preview, but they are not displayed in the normal editing mode. This is not a trivial behavior, I submitted a suggestion that this behavior should be documented in [MS-OI29500].

When the above discussed empty page is the first page, Word does not handle it properly, there are two problems with it:

1. The first empty generated page is not displayed in the File / Print preview mode.
    2. This page is “there”, as we can see that the current page on the first displayed page starts with 2; yet at the same time, this first empty generated page is “not there”, as the number of total pages is one less, the last page displays Page 7 of 6. I submitted a bug report that this behavior of Word should be corrected.

Thanks, Vilmos

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Thank you for the question.  An engineer from the Protocols Team will contact you soon.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, July 1, 2014 8:49 PM
  • Hi David,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I’ve downloaded the “EvenPage.docx” and "OddPage.docx" files, I am going to analyze them and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Hi;

Any progress? My customer is very anxious for a solution to this and I need to know what to do.

thanks - dave

Who will win The Windward International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:33 PM
  • And here's another one - www.windward.net/temp/PageNumbering.docx

It has a couple of problems:

1. The first section break says odd (which is what I set) but in the docx it's evenPage.
    2. The pages are 1, 2, 4 so it renders the first section break as an even.
    3. The footer page numbering is 2, 3, 5 - so it starts on page 2 instead of page 1.

This is a very simple document I created in Word where I pasted the text and then inserted the section breaks & footer.

??? - thanks - dave

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:16 PM
  • And another at http://www.windward.net/temp/PageNumbering2.docx - this one is a single odd section break - and it breaks to the next even page.

I think something very basic is off on Word here or I totally misunderstand what the section breaks mean.

thanks - dave

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:21 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I've downloaded the PageNumbering.docx and PageNumbering2.docx files and will analyze them. I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, July 8, 2014 10:57 PM
  • Hi Vilmos;

Any progress? Our customer has a production template waiting on this.

thanks - dave

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Hi David,

This is regarding the EvenPage.docx and OddPage.docx documents; I also can’t explain how Word handles the
    <w:type w:val="evenPage"/> <!-- or “oddPage” -->
    and submitted a question to the product group for explanation.

Thanks, Vilmos

Sunday, July 13, 2014 11:09 PM
  • Hi Vilmos;

Anything from the product group yet?

thanks - dave

Friday, July 25, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Hi David,

Sorry, no answer, yet; hopefully soon.

Thanks, Vilmos

Friday, July 25, 2014 8:15 PM
  • Hi David,

In order to better understand the problems, let’s modify one of your files, OddPage.docx.

First add a footer containing the current page and the total number of pages.

Second generate a few more section breaks by copying and pasting the existing three paragraphs: the first one containing the text 123, the second one containing sectPr with <w:type w:val="evenPage"/>, and the third one containing the text 456.  Copy the three paragraphs, and perform a paste two times.  For easier reference change the text in the first copy to 789 and ABC, and in the second one to DEF and GHI.

In Word 2013 you should see the first page starts with text 123 and Page 2 of 6; the last page should contain GHI and Page 7 of 6. We’ll return later to explain the rendering.

Go to File / Print and enlarge the print preview part. The first page should look the same as in Word editing, but the second page is empty. This second page was generated by Word according to the standard ISO/IEC 29500-1:2012 section 17.18.77 ST_SectionMark (Section Type)
    evenPage (Even Page Section Break) Specifies an even page section break, which begins the new section on the next even-numbered page, leaving the next odd page blank if necessary.

These empty pages are displayed in the print preview, but they are not displayed in the normal editing mode. This is not a trivial behavior, I submitted a suggestion that this behavior should be documented in [MS-OI29500].

When the above discussed empty page is the first page, Word does not handle it properly, there are two problems with it:

1. The first empty generated page is not displayed in the File / Print preview mode.
    2. This page is “there”, as we can see that the current page on the first displayed page starts with 2; yet at the same time, this first empty generated page is “not there”, as the number of total pages is one less, the last page displays Page 7 of 6. I submitted a bug report that this behavior of Word should be corrected.

Thanks, Vilmos

• Marked as answer by DavidThi808 Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:05 AM
  • Thanks Vilmos;

Can you give them those really short examples I created too as those are not showing the blank page in print or the numbering also?

Tuesday, August 5, 2014 1:57 PM
  • Hi David,

As far as I can see your other examples don't show different kind of problems than those described in my 8/5 posting; if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Thanks, Vilmos

Wednesday, August 6, 2014 1:45 PM
  • Hi;

Yeah, I think another issue is this. You said:

These empty pages are displayed in the print preview

But opening the really short examples I posted (EvenPage & OddPage), neither shows a blank page in print preview. I think OddPage should.

??? - thanks - dave

Friday, August 8, 2014 5:33 PM
  • Hi David,

Yes, you are right, OddPage.docx should display a blank page in Print preview; this is one part of my bug reports described in my Tuesday, August 05, 2014 posting.

Thanks, Vilmos

Saturday, August 9, 2014 7:01 AM