Using LUN's / Remote Storage instead of physical disks RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

Is it possible to adjust the script to use 4 lun's instead of 4 physical disks or is this a road not to be taken due to possible complications?

Also the question if this "local" disk requirement is something here to stay (because of storage spaces direct (DAS) direct vs traditional SAN)

Second question is if I can mount 4 VHD's within 2016 and adjust the script with the adition of "file backed Virtual" as a bustype?

• Edited by D-RMZ Wednesday, February 3, 2016 10:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 7:58 AM

Answers

• I have tested it by using iSCSI disks. I had to modify the script to use these bus type as well by editing this line:

$physicalDisks = Get-PhysicalDisk | Where-Object { $_.CanPool -eq $true -and ($_.BusType -eq 'RAID' -or $_.BusType -eq 'SAS' -or $_.BusType -eq 'SATA' -or $_.BusType -eq 'ISCSI') }

in the Invoke-AzureStackDeploymentPrecheck.ps1 file on the MicrosoftAzureStackPOC.vhdx (D:\AzureStackInstaller\PoCDeployment\)

Best regards, Mark Scholman. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by D-RMZ Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

No the scripts uses physical disks on the host to create the setup in order to comply with the requirements for Storage Spaces Direct, if you want to store it on SAN you can always used a nested deployment and then redirect the additional disks to the SAN. 
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:02 AM
  • Ok, I thought nested deployments are not supported for the Azure Stack Preview?

Btw, I think I found a workaround. Or better said, I found somebody who found a workaround. (mount 4 empty VHD's with the correct size and change the bustype in the script)

• Edited by D-RMZ Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:06 AM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:06 AM
  • I have tested it by using iSCSI disks. I had to modify the script to use these bus type as well by editing this line:

$physicalDisks = Get-PhysicalDisk | Where-Object { $_.CanPool -eq $true -and ($_.BusType -eq 'RAID' -or $_.BusType -eq 'SAS' -or $_.BusType -eq 'SATA' -or $_.BusType -eq 'ISCSI') }

in the Invoke-AzureStackDeploymentPrecheck.ps1 file on the MicrosoftAzureStackPOC.vhdx (D:\AzureStackInstaller\PoCDeployment\)

Best regards, Mark Scholman. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by D-RMZ Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:20 PM
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:02 PM
  • Second question is if I can mount 4 VHD's within 2016 and adjust the script with the adition of "file backed Virtual" as a bustype?

To answer the second question; when users stumble upon this post via google.  NO.
    Bottom line, S2D requires SCSI/RAID/SAS bus, virtual disks are connected to the 'File Backed Virtual' bus, Theoretically you could emulate a SAS bus with a storage driver/service and add a virtual disk to it. Like Daemon tools does with the SPTD driver, but unfortunately that doesn't work with 2016 TP4. So I recommend you to use a the nested hypervisor scenario and add the virtual disk to the VM. 

Cheers,

Ruud
    Twitter:    Blog: www.ruudborst.nl  LinkedIn:    
    Note: Please “Vote As Helpful” if you find my contribution useful or “Mark As Answer” if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, May 2, 2016 2:22 PM