none
VSTO along with Visual Studio 2012 and Office 2013--Design-Time Adaptor Add-In Problem RRS feed

• Question

• I am using:

• MS Visual Studio Pro 2012 Ver 11.0.60315.01 Update 2 and .Net F/W 4.5 and
    • MS Office Pro Plus 2013 and
    • I am using, with regret, Windows 8.

I want VSTO for Office 2013, which is relatively easy to acquire, but the difficult part is that I want it, after installation, to actually work.  I have spent, off and on, three days or so, trying to get VS 2012 to allow me to create an Excel Workbook app.  I am up to Workbook 34 now, trying to get that blasted add-in VSTODesigner.dll to function properly, but no luck.  I have removed Office, reinstalled it, removed VSTO reinstalled it, did all the tricks with Excel File+Options+Add-Ins, Manage Excel Add-ins, etc, etc, etc, etc.  I go to Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2012 is now available to download! And click on it.  I get the OfficeTools_bundle.exe app running and I tell it to install.  It installs the Office Developer Tools for Office 2012 ENU.  It “acquires” stuff and then “applies” stuff while those cute little buckyballs move at less than the speed of light across the screen.  Installation successful!!

I fireup VS 2012, New Project, Office/Sharepoint, Office Ad-ins, Excel 2013 Workbook, click OK, in the ExcelWorkbook 34 tab, let it “create a new document”, click OK, then get “Project cannot be created because the “Excel Visual Studio Design-Time Adaptor Add-in” is not working correctly…..blah, blah”.  So, like it says, I check the Trust Center and in the Add-ins tab, I see that the “Disable add-ins…” check box is not checked.  Back to Excel Options panel, Add-Ins and I see under the Active Application Add-ins heading that the MS VS 10 Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Excel 2007” at c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Visual Studio Tools for Office\x86\vstoexceladaptor.dll is there.  Why is it called VS10 Tools and VS 11.0 when I am using VS2012 and Office 2013…I have no idea.  Just to confuse everyone I suppose.  

Sorry to be so long-winded, but it is what it is.  Does anyone know what the heck is going on?  As far as I am concerned, this office and VS stuff simply does not work!!  Tell me I am wrong please.

What I want to do is to take an existing Excel spreadsheet, which has thousands of rows of information I need in multiple sheets of a workbook to have an entrenched VBA addin component that traverses the sheet and posts the data through my DataAccess Layer (DAL) into a SQL Server DB.  I have done this years ago with older visual studio tools and had many of these issues—all related to installation and compatabilities I think.  I am prepared to have someone say to me that I have no clue and that I should be doing this or that and I will listen, but nothing should be this difficult.

Can someone help?  BTW, why cant I cut and paste from those panels in Excel so I do not need to type file names like:  c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Visual Studio Tools for Office\x86\vstoexceladaptor.dll. 

Thanks in advance, fellow VSTO'ers.

tim

Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:31 PM

Answers

• I believe I now have a work-around solution to this issue. 

1. I removed office 2013;
    2. did a repair on the MS Office Developer Tools for VS 2012 ENU from control panel;
    3. fire up Excel, activate the COM addin such that it migrates into the Active Application Add-ins list and is "Loaded";
    4. leave Excel active;
    5. go to VS and create the Excel workbook project using either new document or existing doc.  works okay as expected.

If I do not leave Excel active in the background, the addin does not remain active (presumably, but I have no way of knowing what "active" means, technically, as I am not an Office software engineer/architect) and the VS project gets the nasty Adaptor error. 

This works for me VSTO people, hope this is of some use to everyone.  What I find really unacceptable on the part of the Microsoft people who build and distribute VSTO, VS and Office is that this issue has existed for years in every release of Office and the net is filled with folks trying to get the blasted adaptor to work and there is no DEFINITIVE solution available.  Even the so-called MSDN direction to fix this problem is not helpful.   Normally, I am a defender of Microsoft's "integrated" suite of products, but this issue has been really a source of aggravation for me. 

All the best. 

tim

Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:00 PM

All replies

• MOre information: here are snippets from my Registry:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VS10Excel2007DesignTimeAdaptor

Microsoft Visual Studio 10 Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Excel 2007

----

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VS10Excel2007DesignTimeAdaptor.1

Microsoft Visual Studio 10 Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Excel 2007

----

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VS11ExcelAdaptor

Visual Studio Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Excel

---

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VS11ExcelAdaptor.1

Visual Studio Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Excel

---

tim

Thursday, May 30, 2013 1:52 AM
  • Tonight I uninstalled Office 2013 again, the VSTO stuff and reinstalled everything.  Same problem.  VS complains about the Excel add-in. 

I cannot believe that this issue exists and nobody knows what to do about it.  Funny thing, if I create a Word 2013 Document in VS, it works fine. 

tim

Friday, May 31, 2013 2:42 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN Forum.

As you've mentioned, you have

MS VS 10 Tools for Office Design-Time Adaptor for Excel 2007” at c:\program files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Visual Studio Tools for Office\x86\vstoexceladaptor.dll

Do you have multiple versions of Office or Visual Studio installed? I'm using Visual Studio 2012 + Office 2013 + Win8, on my side, there's only

• VS11ExcelAdaptor
    • VS11ExcelAdaptor.1
    • VS11WordAdaptor
    • VS11WordAdaptor.1

You'll need to clean your development environment before you can create project properly. Go to Add-ins and see whether another Adaptor add-in exists, disable the one for Excel 2007 and enable the other one.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, May 31, 2013 12:02 PM
  • thanks Quist for your response.  I appreciate your effort. 

I loaded Office 2010 today side-by-side with Office 2013.  I could get the Excel 2010 workbook created in VS2012 if I let EXcel 2010 remain active in the background after I caused the Add-ins to be loaded and become active.  So, I thought that was the secret.  I uninistalled Office 2013, thinking I fixed the issue.  Tried again with VS after the uninstall, but got the same error message about the adaptor even when I had Excel 2010 active with the adaptors checked.  So, I am back to where I started. 

What a mess and a huge waste of time.  I would surmise that there is a conflict with the two versions of Office as you have suggested.  What bothers me is the ambiguous naming of these components.  Why is there an "Excel Add-in" and a "COM Add-in" with the same names?  Why do they become "checked" and then become "unchecked"  by themselves. 

I will go through the registry tomorrow and prune off the VSTO stuff and the office stuff after uninstalling those components.  But that is a bit silly, to need to go to that extent.     

tim

Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:03 AM
  • I believe I now have a work-around solution to this issue. 

1. I removed office 2013;
    2. did a repair on the MS Office Developer Tools for VS 2012 ENU from control panel;
    3. fire up Excel, activate the COM addin such that it migrates into the Active Application Add-ins list and is "Loaded";
    4. leave Excel active;
    5. go to VS and create the Excel workbook project using either new document or existing doc.  works okay as expected.

If I do not leave Excel active in the background, the addin does not remain active (presumably, but I have no way of knowing what "active" means, technically, as I am not an Office software engineer/architect) and the VS project gets the nasty Adaptor error. 

This works for me VSTO people, hope this is of some use to everyone.  What I find really unacceptable on the part of the Microsoft people who build and distribute VSTO, VS and Office is that this issue has existed for years in every release of Office and the net is filled with folks trying to get the blasted adaptor to work and there is no DEFINITIVE solution available.  Even the so-called MSDN direction to fix this problem is not helpful.   Normally, I am a defender of Microsoft's "integrated" suite of products, but this issue has been really a source of aggravation for me. 

All the best. 

tim

Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank you for sharing your workaround which is also very helpful to other community members.

Have a nice day.

Quist Zhang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, June 3, 2013 8:30 AM