none
Microsoft Does Not Support Software Running on Virtualized Environment ?!?!? (even Microsoft VM?) RRS feed

• Question

• I have been getting phone calls from Microsoft asking me to update to a "Premier-Level" support, with the statement that "Microsoft will not support any Microsoft Products if they are install on a Virtualized Platform unless we purchase the Premier-Level support (about $25K).

He sighted an artical that stated:

For Microsoft customers who do not have a Premier-level support agreement, Microsoft will require that the issue to be reproduced independently from the non-Microsoft hardware virtualization software.

This seems legit, and is sighted at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897615

However, the statement "non-Microsoft" made is sound like they would support microsoft virtualization. I asked the following:

" I assume if I am running "Microsoft hardware virtualization software" then I do not need the Premier-level support agreement in order to get support. " 

His response was 

"I am being told that currently even using Microsoft’s Virtualization software would require you to un-virtualize to diagnose unless you are a Premier customer."  

I asked for a reference, and he was unable to provide a link ... Is this for real????? ..... 

Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• Art,

I highly doubt microsoft would not support if it is running on Microsoft virtualization/hypervisor environment.  But if you need reference, you may have to post the question in technet hyper-V forum that is frequented by IT Pros that deal with this day in and day out.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008 2:46 AM
  • I strongly doubt this too since they've just announced they're considered supporting Windows on other manufactures VM providing they meet their criteria, whatever that is
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/220323/microsoft-loosens-virtualisation-licensing-rules.html

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:06 PM