none
Easy way to expose Northwind Database with WCF? RRS feed

• Question

• I see that Entity Framework (database first) and LINQ to SQL create a lot of classes for you (when using the Visual Studio code generation).

How can I create a WCF Service with methods that return arrays of orders or customers or regions etc... (there are quite a few classes in the Norhtwind database)...

Is it necessary to type in each class over again with the [DataContract] attribute making a additional set of classes that are almost redundant with all the classes that Linq to SQL or Entity Framework has already created?

Yikes! If this is true, I must say there is some merit to the old asmx files with ADO.NET. You can just use ADO.NET to populate a dataset and return that.

Now I know I could use the OData feature, but that is read only at this time. Furthermore, I might want to put some custom logic in each method.

In summary: is there a way to create a WCF service where I don't have to type in all the classes using the [DataContract]?

Maybe there are some tt files I could modify somewhere to put the DataContract in the files that Visual Studio generates?

Thanks

Siegfried

siegfried heintze

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 1:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• You are getting serialized XML data so you can always parse the XML in code rather than do the automatic parsing using DataContract.

jdweng

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 2:17 AM
  • Using the EF DataBase first approach, an EF Entity on the virtual model is an implicit datacontract with WCF. So you can send those entities through WCF client/service as is, and it would not be a problem.

On the other hand, most don't send the EF entities through WCF. They send DTO(s) Data Transfer Objects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_Transfer_Object

The beauty of EntityToDTO(s) is it creates DTO(s) that are datacontracts to WCF, which means to you is that you can create a classlib project call it Entities that will hold the DTO(s) and all projects can set reference to Entities and use the DTO(s).

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/655aa6d4-4461-42ea-aeec-64cdb1313de7

• Marked as answer by siegfried_ Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:25 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:16 AM