windows 8 metro with IIS serve RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi there,

I have some questions about windows 8 metro app....

If we are going put a metro app (windows 8) into the windows Store, but it consumes our IIS 7 server......is that possible?

or is there anyway we can install the app into different windows 8 pcs without putting it into windows Store (Local installation supported?)?

Vin

VIN.X

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hello Vin.X,

Could you clarify what you mean by "consumes our IIS 7 server"?

You cannot install a Metro App locally except to test/debug it. The appx package must launch inside the Store environment to run. Desktop apps still have the option of launching outside the Metro UI just as in previous versions of Windows.

However, you do have the option of debugging it locally for testing purposes. You will need the remote debugging kit to perform this. You can find the kit at the site for development tools. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jesse

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:32 PM
  • Hi Jesse,

Thanks for the reply....

The meaning of "consumes our IIS 7 server" is what if we have IIS server (WCF server) running in the air, and our app is using the web services call to update/retrieve data to/from it......is it possible to put our app in the Windows Store? (I believe the Store will first run the test on the App, is it possible for us to use other windows server rather than Azure?)

Thanks

VIN.X

• Edited by VIN.X Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:52 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:51 AM
  • Hi Vin.X,

I hope I am understanding you correctly, so please let me know if I am not. You cannot host the application using your own IIS server. All Metro apps are hosted inside the Windows Store. With that being said, you have the capability to create a custom data source using a web service or such to access data. Check out this link about custom data sources, I hope it helps.

Thanks,

Jesse

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:11 PM
  • The app itself would be hosted in the store, but it can connect to any accessible web service. You can host your own web services on your IIS server. They do not have to be hosted in Azure.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 7:34 PM
  • hi Jesse,

I think you misunderstood me. what I mean is "if we are hosting our own services(not using Azure)....Could we put our app in the Store..(Rob answered me that, thanks Rob..)

Vin

VIN.X

• Edited by VIN.X Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:51 PM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:51 PM
  • thanks...thats really helpful...

VIN.X

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:52 PM
  • It's perfectly OK for your Metro app to consume web services provided by your own hosted server (or somebody else's hosted server for that matter). There is no requirement for you to use Azure. Obviously cloud platforms like Azure or AWS will make it easier to scale up if you need to (and potentially make high availability easier) but any web accessible resource is fine.
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:19 PM