locked
AddIn installs fine on Win7, but wont install on XP - why? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have two AddIns that are virtually the same code except one manages some Excel data and the other does the same with Word, so the only code differences are around those products - other than that, the code is very much the same.

    Yesterday our QA department was testing these two AddIns.  Both AddIns install fine on a Windows 7 machine with Office 2010.  But on an XP machine with Office 2010 the Word AddIn seems to install, but is not there.  That is, the install runs fine, and the AddIn shows up in the Add/Remove programs group, but if you go into Word, the AddIn is not there at all.  Oddly, the Excel version DOES install and is present!

    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might be debugging to fix this problem?  Again, both install on Win 7 just fine - but on XP both SEEM to install, but the Word AddIn is not present in Word.

    I have tried tinkering with the dependancies, the AddIn load code, and I have also ensured the AddIns have different names - but nothing seems to be solving this riddle.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks

    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:18 PM

Answers

  • I got sent a link and the poster said this is the Best answer that could be found...

    http://amplicate.com/hate/vs2010

    Not much help, but as usual I have to debug the very products I pay Microsoft a fortune for...  250 views, no answers!  Whats wrong with THAT picture! 

     

     

     

    • Marked as answer by B_E_L Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:22 PM

All replies

  • Since the Excel-AddIn is loading, I asume all prerequisites are there.

    So I belive there is a Programm-Error. Maybe it's a locale problem.
    I would implement some logging, to see why the AddIn get's disabled.

    Greets - Helmut


    Helmut Obertanner [http://www.obertanner.de] [http://www.outlooksharp.de]
    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 9:02 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply Helmut...

    We've eliminated Locale as a potential source for the problem - that all seems just fine.  We will implement some logging and see what that returns.

    This said, let me reiterate just how similar these two AddIn projects are - they are VERY similar - but when we used the Setup and Deployment VS tool, we get one big oddity...  With the Excel project, when the Setup is built, its Detected Dependancies all have the Exclude property set to FALSE.  When we build the Word version, its Detected Dependancies Exclude property are all set to TRUE.

    I tried changing these in the Word version, but it did not solve the problem.  Still, its baffling how 2 projects, almost identical, can produce these differing results.  Fact is, the more we work with VS 2010, the less we trust it.  But on these two projects I am stuck with 2010 for the moment.

    We will try the logging suggestion, and thanks - and we are also thinking of moving the code out of VS 2010 and back to VS 2008.  We have had to do this on a couple other projects and it made a huge difference.  The problem with these AddIns is that they are geared toward Office 2010, so VS 2010 would be preferred - but since loading VS 2010 we have had a bunch of problems with it - and I am really losing faith that this product was ever properly debugged and instead, just rushed to market as MS does so often.

    Thanks for the suggestion - we will give it a try.

    BEL

    Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:57 PM
  • I got sent a link and the poster said this is the Best answer that could be found...

    http://amplicate.com/hate/vs2010

    Not much help, but as usual I have to debug the very products I pay Microsoft a fortune for...  250 views, no answers!  Whats wrong with THAT picture! 

     

     

     

    • Marked as answer by B_E_L Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:22 PM
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 1:22 PM