none
Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime fails to install in windows 8 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I've followed these instructions (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/cc442767(v=vs.110).aspx) to create an installer for my Outlook Addin. However upon trying to install my Addin on a windows 8 64 bit machine, it fails to install the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.

How can I resolve this?

Thanks,

Hiren.

• Edited by HirenM Friday, November 8, 2013 7:02 PM
    Friday, November 8, 2013 7:01 PM

Answers

• Hello Hiren,

Thank you for sharing a screenshot of the error message.

It looks like the installer can't find the required windows registry record which indicates whether the VSTO runtime installed on the target PC or not. Make sure that the following registry hive and record exists on the problematic PC:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R | Version="10.0.40820"

For example, a complete file should look:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <SetupPrereq>
    <conditions>
        <condition Type="32" Comparison="2" Path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R" FileName="Version" ReturnValue="10.0.40820" Bits="2"></condition>
        <condition Type="32" Comparison="2" Path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R" FileName="Version" ReturnValue="10.0.40820" Bits="2"></condition>
    </conditions>
    <files>
        <file LocalFile="&lt;ISProductFolder&gt;\SetupPrerequisites\VSTOR\vstor_redist.exe" URL="http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/D/1/1D16DA35-34C2-47FB-9BA5-35EED9603C42/vstor_redist.exe" CheckSum="197e479106a8b976fe584706657b4756" FileSize=" 0,40058464"></file>
    </files>
    <execute file="vstor_redist.exe" returncodetoreboot="1641,3010" requiresmsiengine="1">
    </execute>
    <properties Id="Your GUID goes here" Description="This prerequisite installs the most recent version of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime." >
    </properties>

</SetupPrereq>
    Is this the case? Did you include the marked line?

• Edited by Eugene Astafiev Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:15 AM
    • Marked as answer by HirenM Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Eugene,

The updated version 10.0.40820 of Visual Studio Runtime for Office works i.e. I don't get the false message that the installation failed. However, I had to implement the registry different because MS way was giving me an error. I would like to discuss this more.

Instructions I follow: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/cc442767.aspx

Using VS 2012 and Outlook 2010 on 64bit Win 8.

For per-computer installation, its says registry entries are: 
    32bit 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(32-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SampleCompany.OutlookAddIn 
    64bit 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(32-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SampleCompany.OutlookAddIn 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(64-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SampleCompany.OutlookAddIn 

Questions: 

1. I used the 64bit reg entries. The Runtime installed and then when my Add-in resumed installation, it gave me an error saying "You don't have permission to access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(32-Bit)\...". I am the admin user so I don't understand why I didn't have the permission for it?! 

2. I got it to work on 64 bit win 8 and 32 bit windows vista installations using this registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SampleCompany.OutlookAddIn Will the above cause a problem? 

3. One thing the guide doesn't mention is whether I need to create 2 different setup.exe for 32 bit and 64 bit with the respective registry or can it be done in one setup.exe and if so how? Do I just put all 3 registry entries into InstallShield's project setup? Thanks, Hiren

• Edited by HirenM Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:08 AM It lost the formatting!
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:05 AM

All replies

• Hi HirenM,

Have you get any error message? If yes, could you share the detail information to help us troubleshoot the issue.

Could you manually install the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime successfully?

Best regards

Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, November 11, 2013 9:46 AM
  • Hi Fei,

VS 2010 Tools for Office Runtime installs correctly. However the setup.exe for my Add-in doesn't recognize the installation and says the installation fails with the following pop-up:

If I continue with the installation, the add-in installs and works. How can I prevent this "false" message from appearing because it's causing confusion with users trying to install the add-in?

I followed all the instructions to create the setup.exe that you recommended in a previous post.

Thanks,

Hiren.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:55 PM
  • Hello Hiren,

Thank you for sharing a screenshot of the error message.

It looks like the installer can't find the required windows registry record which indicates whether the VSTO runtime installed on the target PC or not. Make sure that the following registry hive and record exists on the problematic PC:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R | Version="10.0.40820"

For example, a complete file should look:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <SetupPrereq>
    <conditions>
        <condition Type="32" Comparison="2" Path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R" FileName="Version" ReturnValue="10.0.40820" Bits="2"></condition>
        <condition Type="32" Comparison="2" Path="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\VSTO Runtime Setup\v4R" FileName="Version" ReturnValue="10.0.40820" Bits="2"></condition>
    </conditions>
    <files>
        <file LocalFile="&lt;ISProductFolder&gt;\SetupPrerequisites\VSTOR\vstor_redist.exe" URL="http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/D/1/1D16DA35-34C2-47FB-9BA5-35EED9603C42/vstor_redist.exe" CheckSum="197e479106a8b976fe584706657b4756" FileSize=" 0,40058464"></file>
    </files>
    <execute file="vstor_redist.exe" returncodetoreboot="1641,3010" requiresmsiengine="1">
    </execute>
    <properties Id="Your GUID goes here" Description="This prerequisite installs the most recent version of the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime." >
    </properties>

</SetupPrereq>
    Is this the case? Did you include the marked line?

• Edited by Eugene Astafiev Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:15 AM
    Wednesday, December 11, 2013 8:10 AM
  • Hi Eugene,

On the problematic PC, a record does exist in that registry location but it has a version 10.0.40303 because at the time of creating the add-in, that's what the xml file had.

My XML file is the previous version from what you have above as it only had one line in the <conditions>. Let me try your new XML file and rebuild the setup.exe tomorrow.

Will let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Hiren.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:03 AM
  • Hi Hiren,

Please don't forget to include the corresponding version of the vsto runtime to the list of prerequisites.

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:18 AM
  • Eugene,

The updated version 10.0.40820 of Visual Studio Runtime for Office works i.e. I don't get the false message that the installation failed. However, I had to implement the registry different because MS way was giving me an error. I would like to discuss this more.

Instructions I follow: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/cc442767.aspx

Using VS 2012 and Outlook 2010 on 64bit Win 8.

For per-computer installation, its says registry entries are: 
    32bit 
    64bit 
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(64-Bit)\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SampleCompany.OutlookAddIn 

Questions: 

1. I used the 64bit reg entries. The Runtime installed and then when my Add-in resumed installation, it gave me an error saying "You don't have permission to access HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE(32-Bit)\...". I am the admin user so I don't understand why I didn't have the permission for it?! 

2. I got it to work on 64 bit win 8 and 32 bit windows vista installations using this registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\SampleCompany.OutlookAddIn Will the above cause a problem? 

3. One thing the guide doesn't mention is whether I need to create 2 different setup.exe for 32 bit and 64 bit with the respective registry or can it be done in one setup.exe and if so how? Do I just put all 3 registry entries into InstallShield's project setup? Thanks, Hiren

• Edited by HirenM Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:08 AM It lost the formatting!
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:05 AM
  • Hello Hiren,

1. Please note that you need to run the setup program as ad admin (use the Run as administrator menu) for accessing the HKLM hive for writing values. This issue comes from the UAC settings.

2. It looks it depends on the UAC settings you have in these machines (OS).

3. You can. Note, in that case you need to add the appropriate windows registry keys manually (use the x86 or x64 windows registry hive).

Thursday, December 12, 2013 10:01 AM
  • Thanks!
    Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:09 PM