SQL Server Management studio RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I had working SSMS on my desktop. I noticed I have lots more installed on my machine. so I decided to uninstall older version. now I am getting error with cannot find one or more components. I want to uninstall all old versions and reinstall new. what should I do. I don't want to disturb my visual studio 2017. This is what I have installed.

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 4:06 PM

Answers

• I tried this but I dont see mssqlserver in dropdown of select instance. I just have sqlexpress.

Hi ad2020,

Then use this sqlexpress instance to complete this operation. it seems that you did not install SQL Server as the default instance, but the named instance.

In addition what version of SSMS have you installed? Can you view and uninstall them under  Control Panel >> Programs?

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ad2020 Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:58 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 1:36 AM

All replies

• you need following steps.

http://www.techbrothersit.com/2016/01/how-to-uninstall-sql-server-management.html

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 5:47 PM
  • I tried this but I dont see mssqlserver in dropdown of select instance. I just have sqlexpress.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:55 PM
  • share output

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/37872.sql-server-installation-on-centos-linux.aspx

Wednesday, June 17, 2020 1:05 AM

Hi ad2020,

Then use this sqlexpress instance to complete this operation. it seems that you did not install SQL Server as the default instance, but the named instance.

In addition what version of SSMS have you installed? Can you view and uninstall them under  Control Panel >> Programs?

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by ad2020 Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:58 PM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 1:36 AM
  • Hi ad2020,
    I am writing to follow up this thread with you.

Is there any update on this case? Was your issue resolved?

If you have resolved your issue, please mark the useful reply as answer. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

In addition, if you have another questions, please feel free to ask.
    Thanks for your contribution.

Best regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by ad2020 Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:57 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ad2020 Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:57 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2020 1:04 AM
  • I could install SSMS after removing  sqlexpress instance. Thanks all.
    Thursday, June 18, 2020 9:59 PM
  • Hi ad2020,

I am glad to hear that you have solved your problem.

Thanks for your post, have a nice day!

Best Regards,
    Cris

MSDN Community Support

Friday, June 19, 2020 12:55 AM